1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Kohler 25 woe!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chipk1, Mar 16, 2007.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If you have a Kohler 25hp with around 500 hours, you may be in for a surprise shortly. Seems that Kohler got a batch bad valve lifters that may cause your cam to wear out prematurely at around 500 hours or so. I am one of those lucky ones. :hammerhead: And to think I could have had a Generac!

2. John Luttrell

John Luttrell LawnSite Member

I hate to hear about anyone having problems with the kohler hp's; especially since I own a GT 5000 with the Kohler pro 25hp, with a build date of 07/21/04. It was So far I can't complain too much about mine; the only issues I've had are with the carburetor getting gummed up one winter(my fault). I had a hell of a time getting the passages cleaned out; had to disassemble and soak carb over night to get the goo out. I also had the electronic fuel shut off valve go bad on me twice. I replaced it with a new one the first time, then the second time I saved some money by removing the needle out of the electric shut off valve and installed a manual shut off valve in the fuel line. This is actually the second one I've owned; somebody stole the first one out of my shop. It was a 2001 model and I had no problems out of it either, but I do hope it caused who ever took it some major problems. By the way, this is my first post here; I was a certified aircraft/auto mechanic for 24 years. I retired from it all and went to work in the Texas oil fields where the money is.....for now. Anyway, a big thanks to you guys for all the information ya'll provide in here for us amateurs to maintain our equipment.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the info pertaining to the lifter issue.

lifter info.jpg

lifter info.jpg