• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

another new guy here

grampafred

LawnSite Member
hello everyone and thanks for lettin me onboard. i've been a commercial printer for thirty years and hated it for thirty years. i've been laid off since september and have been thinkin what else can i do. clean toilets and cut grass. i prefer the latter. so here goes with the the questions, just a couple to start with, i know there will be more.(1)i have a 16 horse craftsman rider, i know i'll have to upgrade, but how do you get nice stripes with something like that. at home i just treat cutting the grass like nascar......drive fast turn left.(2)my vehicle is a chevy cavalier, not good enough to pull a trailer. as much as i would hate to, do you think taking money out of a 401 k to upgrade vehicle and get a trailer would pay off or should i get a walk behind. the walk behind would be more of a residential type than a commercial cause that's what i can afford and that's what would fit in the trunk. thanks for your time fellas, gramps

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
Hey gramps, Welcome aboard!

I read your post and not sure how to help answer your questions... Your not going to go very far loading and unloading your cavalier... So at least a truck is needed, trailer can wait til you get a few jobs under your belt, but if you can get one at a good price then you could take your rider to other jobs... I hate telling people to dip into their 401k to make this happen so its really something you need to do and decide upon... How serious are you about running your own business? As far as getting stripes with a Craftsman mower... Slim to non. The weight of the commercial untis is what really gives it those stripes and your craftsman isnt going to cut it... (no pun intended) That machine just wasnt designed to manicure a lawn, it was designed to cut grass.. Make sense?

You need the basic tools to get going in this business. Mowers, string trimmer, blower, hand tools and of course means of transporting them (truck & trailer) If you really want to get into this business and be able to do some work, you will need to find a way to get the basics covered and then figure out how you are going to attract business and start building a name for yourself... How deep is your committment?

OP
G

grampafred

LawnSite Member
thanks for the reply. one way or another i'll get it done. i have most of the hand tools i think i'll need to start with and a good echo trimmer. hmmmm i'll figure something out. thanks again.