Another New House Lawn Problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DustinB, Apr 10, 2018.

1. DustinB

DustinB LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just bought a house and trying to get the lawn in order, hoping to get some help getting it sorted out. The house/lawn is 3 years old St Augustine, floratam I believe. I'm on the upper Texas gulf coast. The homeowner had been having Tru green fertilize and the neighbor was doing the mowing, very short.

We had a lot of cold days over the winter with a fair amount of freezing given the area. This spring has also had a lot of cooler days even up to today in the high 50s overnight.

The problem is the lawn has been very slow to green up and fill in. A lot of patchy dead areas and the grass was very loose a month ago. When I moved in a month ago I applied milorganite at approximately 2x bag rate. A week later I was looking at the lawn again and did some reading after noticing June beetles. I treated the lawn with seven insect granules. I have noticed the lawn does seem more "rooted" lately, but I can't tell if the patches are getting better or worse. I did apply some vigoro 15-5-10 about a week ago at half rate. Haven't noticed any changes one way or another.

Other lawns in the neighborhood are a mix of the same, less damage, and some look great. Wondering if I'm doing things right or if I'm even treating the right problem. I know take all root rot is prevalent in southern Texas and I'm also wondering if that may be the cause. I have attached some pictures. Any help on what to check or do next would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: The areas with the most damage seem to be the ones that get the most sun.

20180410_111657.jpg

20180410_111530.jpg

20180410_111251.jpg

20180410_111249.jpg

20180410_111237.jpg

20180410_111213.jpg

KerbDMK likes this.
  2. DustinB

DustinB LawnSite Member

Here's some more pictures, these are from the front yard.

20180410_143927.jpg

20180410_143904.jpg

20180410_143851.jpg

20180410_143841.jpg

20180410_143753.jpg

20180410_143733.jpg

KerbDMK likes this.
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I would hire a local professional

KerbDMK likes this.
  4. DustinB

DustinB LawnSite Member

I thought this was the "homeowner assistance forum". If I wanted to pay Tru green or someone else to screw it up again I wouldn't be here.

GrassManKzoo, Babaganoosh and KerbDMK like this.
  5. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is going into my personal “Hall of Fame” for funniest thread of all time or at least the time I’ve been here. Sorry I can’t help you with your grass, I just don’t know very much about southern grass.

whiffyspark and DustinB like this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Grass is fine lay off chemicals until we get some warm weather to get it going.

DustinB and hort101 like this.
  7. jod788

jod788 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about it either. 2x milorganite is a good start. I alernate that with soybean meal. works wonders. Milorganite is very slow release and takes some heat to break it down. Give it some time.

DustinB likes this.
  8. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I agree with others. Give it a few weeks.

If you really have the urge to do something do a soil test. That will give you a good starting point.

DustinB likes this.
  9. DustinB

DustinB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I'll leave it alone and see how it goes. I was going to have someone come out with a core aerator now, but I think I may wait til the fall and spread some compost after. I know the builder grade soil isn't supposed to be very good. I'll go ahead and order a kit to send off for a soil test.

10. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It looks like cold injury on a weak lawn to me. The milorganite is a great supplement, and needs heat to work best, but the lawn needs a good fertilizing. Apply a complete fertilizer which includes, at least, iron, manganese and magnesium at a rate of 1 lb of nitrogen and .5-1 lb of potassium per 1000 sq ft. Water extra if its in full sun because the exposed soil your trying to get stolons to grow in to will dry out quickly. Get your soil results, including pH, and apply nutrients/supplements accordingly.

turfmd101 likes this.