1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vrmpsh18, Sep 8, 2008.

1. vrmpsh18

vrmpsh18 LawnSite Member

I am looking to get into the lawn care business in early 09. Just have a couple questions on equipment, insurance and pricing jobs.

I also do screen printing and embroidering and advertising specialties, but want to get into mowing to bring in some extra cash. O and if you need shirts for you and your crews, just let me know!

I have been looking into zero turns and have decided I would like to get something with around a 50" deck because I will be doing a good bit of residential. I am thinking used for the first ztr, but am open to new as well, if I can find a good price anywhere. Ferris, Exmark, Toro and Cub Cadet are the brands I have had an eye on, but also found a deal on a Lesco because they just got bought out by Deere. Any of these better than the other? Is the Cub Cadet Commercial line worth my time? I was looking at the "Enforcer" with a 48", because the price of $4900 new, sounds pretty decent. Is the Kohler or Kawasaki going to be a better engine for me?

As far as they pricing of jobs go, I was figuring about $70 an hour, does that seem to be about normal?

I would like to get liability insurance to cover my ass, for when anything might occur. Anyone have any recommendations on where to turn for good coverage at a cheap price? How much does this normally cost for a small solo operation?

Any help you all could offer would be much appreciated.

2. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

I would say stay away from the LESCO, just because of the service side of it. Because they have been bought out it is a little tricky getting parts. Everyone has there "own" brand that they seem to like best so just do what's right for you. For me it's Exmark but I have had luck with Kubota and JD also. If you are only doing this part time though and you know a dealer that you can trust then try a used one a good dealer will help you out in anyway they can. As far as Kawa or Kohler I think thats a personal choice I have never had a Kohler but have had plenty of luck with my Kawa's. Hope this helps...

3. vrmpsh18

vrmpsh18 LawnSite Member

Sounds good, I was probably going to stay away from the Lesco, but thanks for the help.

4. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

Check out http://www.sleequipment.com/store/ They have great equipment at a decent price. You can get the whole rig. I bought my first rig there and it's been great.

5. vrmpsh18

vrmpsh18 LawnSite Member

SLE looks like they maybe getting a sale from me when I am ready to purchase. I definitely like some of their packages. Just have to take the ride to TN from MD to pick it all up. Thanks for the help.

I know that there are many factors in estimating a price, but wanted to know if most people charge by the hour or by the acreage. I was planning on estimating by using hourly price. I think 65 to 70 in my market, would be pretty fair. Any thoughts?

6. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes they dont save you that much money on a package and what about the service after you get it ................

7. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

For me it was worth getting everything all at once when I first started as I didn't have the hassle of finding a trailer, finding a blower, trimmer etc.. As for service I have a Toro dealer about ten minutes from my home, they didn't have packages otherwise I would have gotten everything from them. They will still service my equipment even though I didn't purchase it from them.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Where in Md are you? just curious.