• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Another newbie with a deck size ?

RobertJ

LawnSite Member
As a solo and a newbie, is a Lazer Z with a 60” deck too large to start with assuming the yard isn’t the size of a postage stamp? I’m also looking at a 48” hydro WB.

Thanks,

Gus McGee

LawnSite Member
What is the average square footage of the lawns in the neighborhoods you are pursing? Are the lawns restricted by fences and gates? How serious are you about entering the business and what is your budget for a mower?

OP
R

RobertJ

LawnSite Member
Lawns are probably 5000 Sqr ft and larger. Some with fences and some without and neither of these would fit through most gates.

I’m just looking to start slow and to spend ~2-3k on a mower.

Thanks,

Gus McGee

LawnSite Member
With your budget I doubt you can get a used 60" mower that doesn't need some major work, which might be ok if you are a mechanic.

Go with the largest sized mowers than you can utilize and that is within your budget. With larger mowers you can always seek out larger jobs. With smaller mowers you are stuck with smaller jobs.

60" mowers work fine for 5k square foot lawns, so long as you aren't blocked by fence gates or have terrain or objects that make them undesirable to use.

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
For me, I own push mowers, a 36inch belt drive toro turbo force WB I bought for $400 used and have several 60 inch mowers. Not a lawn I can not mow. In a perfect world I would have 36inch, 48/52inch mower and a 72. The bigger the blade, the better the cut imo. So the best cut mowers are going to be a push mower with a 25 inch blade, then a 2 blade 36 mower, then a 3 blade 72 inch mower. If you get a WB mower, be aware they can throw clippings 4 times their width and will need a bagger (which don't go far without getting full), a mulch kit, or operator controlled discharge chute.

OP
R

RobertJ

LawnSite Member
Sorry for the delay getting back here. I got sidetracked on getting a trailer.

I seem to him-haw about which mower to get. Now I'm looking at a Toro grandstand 52” with 780 hrs. with Al. catcher. They are asking $2,800. Also looking at a Gravely 36” WB hydro with 150 hrs. that they are asking $2,000.

Assuming both sellers are being mostly honest what do you think? I've actually thought about picking up both. It's more then I originally wanted to spend but I have the funds to do so and the bonus is I got a very good deal on my trailer.

Thanks,

OP
R

RobertJ

LawnSite Member
Edit - I mentally had 5k in my mind to spend for a trailer and a mower.
Ran out of time to edit last post.

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
Edit - I mentally had 5k in my mind to spend for a trailer and a mower.
Ran out of time to edit last post.
I would go with that grand stand. I would not waste the money on a hydro wb unless you live in the mountains. I would set a budget of $800 or less for a walk behind and settle on a belt drive. You will find it handy, but you might use it a couple hrs a week unless your yards are tiny with lots of gates. I would rather see you get a 25 inch ybravo or exmark 30inch mower then spend 2k on a 36 wb. With a 36, you will still need a smaller push mower. The ybravo and exmark 30 fills both roles.