1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another psycho!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Today was the second day for mowing. Show up at this house that i have done for 2 years. I drop the gate and make my first lap around. The grass is somewhat tall but not too bad. Then the homeowner comes out. "Aren't you gonna bag this?" I said, "I've never bagged this in two years." "But there's leaves everywhere." I take a look around and there is seriously 5 leaves on the entire property. "It builds up thatch" she says..."just look here." She says she know how her yard does...and I was like...me too! I've mowed it for 2 years. I told her where to look and left! BTW, all i could see was dirt and tall grass. :dizzy:

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely hate it when someone trys to tell me how to do a job. If there is a special request for an end result I will do it, but the actual process of doing simple things...I almost walked away from a leaf job last fall. Home owner and I agreed on the price and end result of the job. Then she proceedes to tell me she would like me to rake (rake, haha...) them into piles and use a tarp to take them over to the bed of the truck loose. I started explaining what I was going to do with my blower and filling up garbage bags, and she said she didn't want it done that way. WTF? I almost got in the truck and left, but I wanted the money so I just did it my way and said screw it. She wasn't even home when I was working, so it didn't really matter.

3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, being a solo operator, I'd get rid of her and replace her with a higher quality customer - right now.

4. PLM-1

She told me that she was going to bag it with her Murray and that i can do it next week. Think I'm gonna???:rolleyes: The only downside to this is that she got me 3 other accounts right by hers...hmmmm Here again i'm 21 and look younger...she prolly thought she could walk all over me. What if i was 45? Would she have said anything??? I doubt it. When she gets a bill for a stop fee she'll be pissed :D

5. PLM-1

Oh and did I add how extremely rude and hateful she was? She was always an extremely nice person. Must not have taken her meds for a while!

6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Usually when I get a customer like that I give them 2 weeks to find someone else to do it.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

PLM, Im 45 and it makes no difference! a PITA is a PITA and their stripes do not change.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I let customers give me instructions on how they want something done. I pretend to listen intently and then do it the way I want to. You accomplish nothing argueing with a customer. AS long as the end results are what they want....

9. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

You skipped me last week. I thought you were going too come over and take care of my yard, as i have way too much planting to take care of at this time.

The drive from way cross to apopka fl will do you good, you need a lot of fresh air and travel time.Once you get down here plan on working a lot it has been raining so much. As far as the revos go we are seeing a few people , just wanting to take every thing out of their yards and start over. :waving:

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had an elderly lady that would come out once I finished and was getting the wead eater, to remind me not to miss the bank (which I was fixing to get). She did this EVERY week, so I turned it into a game to run get the weadeater on before she could get out of the house, and get started on the bank. After a few MONTHS of this, she finally left me alone! People are funny, and sometimes to survive, I have to turn it into a game.