Lawn Care Forum banner

Another reason not to bag Grass

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Brickman Lawn Care 
#1 ·
In this months Turf there is an article about large amounts of clopyralid showing up in finish compost. Clopyralid is a common herbicide used in many of the popular 3-way mixes. It seams that people are getting compost for their gardens and their tomatoes are dying. The source is from grass clippings and the composting (industry) does not know what to do. But I bet if the tree huggers get hold, the word (ban) will slip from there lips. The only reason there is a composting industry is that people think for some reason thing they need to bag grass. I know this is steppin on toes because a lot of profit is made on equipment, bags, labor and disposal fees. The customer pays for water, fertilizer, pesticides and the lawn guy hauls it off to the dump. It's kind of silly really. If we stop bagging grass there will not be these big city compost ops. and the problem will go away. And if you think this is a small issue and the left won't act. Anybody heared of Dursban? What if a small child eats a tomato that is dying that was just composted? As you know it doesn't have to make sense to raise a furvor. ( you smell what I'm steppin in?) What ever happened to that guy, anyway?

Mark

#3 ·
you're just going to fry yer brain trying to get any wheels rolling on that subject.its the money/greed issue again.trying to get people,and the industry as a whole to stop bagging the clippings is just like trying to get the EPA to pull the chemicals off the shelfs of the local wal-mart.there is just waaaaay too much money involved here.and people would be losing jobs/revenue.unless there is a major problem with pollution (and by that time it's too late to do anything about it)i wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get something changed in the industry.i would be a good idea to put a chemical water filter on your drinking water tap at home.you know --just in case all those good chemicals are leaching into the water supply.

#8 ·
Hi guys -

I'm glad this article sparked a bit of discussion here. That's exactly why we published it -- to let you all know what the compost industry is doing and saying.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I want to make sure we all underdstand exactly what the "real deal" is.

- There have not been "large amounts of clopyralid" found in compost. It has shown up in a few places on the West Coast, in Pennsylavania and New Zealand. We're talking parts per billion here. If we started to talk about all of the junk that shows up in compost in much higher concentrations (like salmonella, e coli and other REALLY harmful stuff), the composting industry would be shut down tomorrow.

- People are NOT "getting compost for their gardens and their tomoatoes are dying." I didn't find this out until after we published the article, but the only incident where this has happened is at one green house growing operation that used 100% grass clippings as the growing medium -- and the clippings weren't even composted in the way that is stipulated on the product info label for clopyralid (You can imagine how pissed off I was when I learned THAT little detail that the compost foks "forgot" to tell us about).

- The incident in Pennsylvania (not discussed in the article) was a case where clopyralid was applied on top of fallen leaves and the THE NEXT DAY the leaves were collected and composted.

What you guys are saying is right on the money. I smelled another "dursban" and thought the industry should know what's going on.

Don't you all find it interesting that the radical, left -wing enviros are the ones who have caused this little broo-ha-ha, since it is they who are all hot and bothered about large scale recyclying (often done by municipalities, with public funds). It's doesn;t seem important to them that the best thing for the environment (as we all have known for years) is to leave the clippings there. You are all correct when you suggest we "follow the money."

David

David G. Cassidy
Executive Editor
Turf Magazine

#10 ·
Dave,

Sorry if I exagerated any facts. I guess by large I meant above acceptable limits. I just would hate to see another product banned for something as unnessesary (most of the time) as bagged grass clippings. Thank you for the information. I guess thats why I am in the lawn biz and not the Mag biz. LOL Keep up the good work.

Mark

#11 ·
Oh I noticed you have only 20 posts. The quality of your last was so good, I think you could give us some more. Im sure there are little tidbits that don't make the Mag. Unless that is a thin ice subject. I just think the more informed we are the more responsible we can be.

Mark

#12 ·
Mark -- Please don't think I was picking on you. On the contrary, thanks for starting the thread.

I'm always happy to share any info we have. We LIKE being on thin ice here. I find that you guys usually are the one's with the helpful information. I sit behind a desk all day -- you're the ones actually "doing it" for a living.

The only "tidbits" I could tell you about would involve Jim K (Turf's publisher and my boss), and then I could lose my job. My lips are sealed.

David

#16 ·
I just saw the article in another mag. I am glad to see this info here, helps me to understand better what is going on.

In this area no body mulches to speak of. I would do it in a heart beat, but since almost nobody else does it, it would be a night mare talking the customer into allowing me to mulch. I have stopped writing my contracts to read "bagging and removal of all clippings". Where ever I can I either mulch or side discharge. Maybe in a few years I can move to all mulching, that would be so nice not to have to haul grass around all day and then unload it at night when I am totally worn out.

Every body around here loves to power rake too. It is a waste of time, and a service that I no longer offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.