(Another thread about) How to raise your prices!!

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
Disagree w giving your customers the sob story R.E.M. it’s the end of the world rant over a $5 price hike. Just do it. No need to add to their stress ppl are tired of the political talk. You’ll make the $5 raise stressful on the customer when they probably woulda just accepted it without explanation.

It's actually upwards $10 to $15. It depends how important retention rate matters to you. I'd hate to lose small flat easy yards that take like 8 minutes to mow over a $10-$15 per-cut price hike. Those are our target properties especially when we have 12 of them all lined up in a row. We have a street with 9 properties we can efficiently knock out in 45 minutes flat. Pushing close to $500 per hour for mowing.

Again, it comes down to good customer service, communication, reliability and quality of work. Sending out a generic text or letter is... well, generic.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Client called me yesterday, wanted to book in for leaf blowing to curb in mid November. Told her that's fine, but pricing has gone up to 60 per hour. She asked how much it was last year. $45. She says oh you are going up $15? Yes. She still wanted me to do the job. Frankly I consider that pretty cheap for me and my br800c (her husband has a br400 and going down for knee replacement soon).

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Client called me yesterday, wanted to book in for leaf blowing to curb in mid November. Told her that's fine, but pricing has gone up to 60 per hour. She asked how much it was last year. $45. She says oh you are going up $15? Yes. She still wanted me to do the job. Frankly I consider that pretty cheap for me and my br800c (her husband has a br400 and going down for knee replacement soon).
You tell people your hourly on leaves?

I usually just throw out a number based on what I know my half and full day price should be and tell them it's that price plus or minus a 100. Leaves enough wiggle room to hit my hourly without telling them my hourly.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
There is zero reason to call, zero reason to feel bad about it. While I do believe in scaled testing and adjustments as you go, there is also no need only do 1/4 or 1/2 hour list. That’s like saying we only raise prices every 2-4 years? That’s nuts. They all go up every year. No exceptions unless we discover that we where over charging in the first place. We went up 5% this year and lost 2 of 700 clients.

raise them late spring early summer. When they have limited choice to price shop you because everyone is busy.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
You can test the market now by increasing your prices on aeration, seeding, leaves etc. and see what happens. I raised my leaf prices about four years ago by around 25% and no one complained.

With that info it gave me confidence to raise the mowing prices the following year by 10 to 15%. I raise the mowing prices on 1/2 the accounts now, every other year now by 10 to 15%. Next year I might need to raise the ones I raised this year again, and raise the others, that are due this year for an increase more than 15%.

I put a note on the 1st invoice and tell them it is due to rising inflation, rising pay and rising insurance cost. I never mention gas in case gas goes down and they can see the gas cost at stations.

Kevin Beasley

LawnSite Member
Business is business.... We raised prices across the board at the start of the season between 5-10% hadn't raised prices in 5 years. Most clients will understand. They see it at the grocery store, fuel, home goods, etc.... The only thing that we did was sent out a letter stating something along the lines of "blah, blah, blah cost of doing business, fuel increase, basically everything increase, we have no choice but to ...."

We lost 3 clients to people getting high school kids cutting their lawns and 2 of those the kids already quit.

For some reason it seems like the majority of people just don't see the lawn care industry in the same light as other professional services and that's probably due to the fact you can have anyone and everyone out there attempting to provide services at any cost without them realizing their true costs.
This part is the absolute truth, "For some reason it seems like the majority of people just don't see the lawn care industry in the same light as other professional services and that's probably due to the fact you can have anyone and everyone out there attempting to provide services at any cost without them realizing their true costs".

brydan

LawnSite Member
It's actually upwards $10 to $15. It depends how important retention rate matters to you. I'd hate to lose small flat easy yards that take like 8 minutes to mow over a $10-$15 per-cut price hike. Those are our target properties especially when we have 12 of them all lined up in a row. We have a street with 9 properties we can efficiently knock out in 45 minutes flat. Pushing close to $500 per hour for mowing.

Again, it comes down to good customer service, communication, reliability and quality of work. Sending out a generic text or letter is... well, generic.

Multiple yards per stop jack your return per hour up way beyond what a price increase does. It's possible they need prices increases too but I tread lightly on those goldmines :D

Top Forums