Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, last year we had a debate on wether or not one needed a license to apply vinigar, or other non pesticide household products to control weeds. after checking with the d.e.p, i was astonished to find the answer was yes. now, another silly question: what if, you were using a torch(fire) to burn the weeds in the cracks of the walkway, as a means of controling them? would you need a pest permit to do this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You need to check your states statutes. In Florida as I expect in most states that it says:

REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS Chapter 487
PESTICIDES View Entire Chapter

487.031 Prohibited acts.--It is unlawful:

(1) For any person to engage in the application of restricted-use pesticides, except as defined in chapters 388 and 482, without a certified applicator's license issued by the department unless such person is doing so under the direct supervision of a licensee.
LINK: http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/in.../SEC031.HTM&Title=->2003->Ch0487->Section 031

Pesticide Certification Section

Pesticide Applicator License
Restricted use pesticide applicator licenses are available to certified individuals to allow for the purchase and use of restricted use pesticides on agricultural and related sites, such as farms, plant nurseries, forests, ornamentals and turfs not associated with structures (such as golf courses and parks), and highway right-of-ways, etc

LINK: http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestapp.html

To use exempted products no license is required.

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
That statute deals with restricted-use pesticides but general, non-restriced use\prohibited use, pesticides also require a license to apply in a for hire situation.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If you're in business using pesticides, you should learn from the beginning about your status. The top of the pile on pesticide licensing is the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). Read definitions on "pest" and "pesticide" at TITLE 7 > CHAPTER 6 > SUBCHAPTER II > Sec. 136.

You will see under the "pesticide" definition that "substances" are controlled by the legislation. There is no attempt to regulate MECHANICAL control of pests.

In most states, fire is considered a mechanical control of weeds, and does not fall under pesticide regulations - BUT BE SURE TO CHECK WITH YOUR OWN STATE REGULATORS. (In FLA, hot water is regulated by pest control agency in controlling fire ants.)

All pest controls are NOT considered pesticides! Is a mole trap a pesticide?

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i had no intention of burning the weeds. i use herbicides. i was just curious, because i was flipping through a magazine, and saw a guy burning them with a torch. i do believe this falls under the category of mechanical weed control. but, u never know. and watch the use of the mole traps, it may fall under "exterminating", and i'm sure they have a license for that

·
Registered
110 Posts
[That statute deals with restricted-use pesticides but general, non-restriced use\prohibited use, pesticides also require a license to apply in a for hire situation.]

Can you show me where it says that? I can not find it anywhere!

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
I think that burning would fall under the category of "mechanical control", just like pulling or cutting them which isn't regulated. While spraying with ANYTHING would be "chemical control" which is regulated. But that's just how I interpret it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"For any person to engage in the application of restricted-use pesticides"

Here again, exempted products do not require to be licensed. The EPA requires the States to license all parties that use restricted use pesticides only. There is no provision to license exempted products.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mowerparts, check my post at the top of this forum, and get the number for your state pesticide regulatory office. Give them a call, and you will learn that if you apply any pesticide, or anything to mitigate a pest, you need to be licensed to do it for hire.

If I find my pocket lint kills dandelions, and you pay me to use my pocket lint on your dandelions, I have to be licensed to do it legitimately. And also, I will have to spend the mulitple millions of $$$ to get my pocket lint registered as a pesticide.

And use of term "exempted" does not apply to many pesticides. The only pesticidal use of a product that I know of that has been exempted from EPA pest registration is CGM (corn gluten meal) for pre-em weed control.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look at my links again. The state only requires license for restricted-use pesticides. That is it. See below.

The 2003 Florida Statutes

Title XXXII
REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS Chapter 487
PESTICIDES View Entire Chapter

487.031 Prohibited acts.--It is unlawful:

(1) For any person to engage in the application of restricted-use pesticides, except as defined in chapters 388 and 482, without a certified applicator's license issued by the department unless such person is doing so under the direct supervision of a licensee. However, all aerial applicators applying any pesticide shall be licensed by the department in the appropriate category or categories, and provisions for direct supervision shall not be held to apply to aerial applicators.

As for exempted products, do a search for organic fertilizer and organic pest control. There is a whole bunch of productes that are exempte that you can use.
Here are some links:
http://www.biconet.com/botanicals.html http://www.maxicrop.com/Greenhouse.htm#Maxicrop Liquid Fish

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in jersey, there is a difference between pesticides, and "restricted use pesticides". you need a license to apply ANY HERBICIDE, FUNGICIDE, INSECTICIDE, these all fall under the classification of "pesticides". now, there are also "restricted use" pesticides. an example of one is, trimec 2.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Since the FIFRA act became law the states have not amended their laws (statutes) to conform to the new organic products which require no registration (exception) with the EPA. They must get approval for use from each state. Florida and I imagine most states have no statutes for regulation or licenses for the organic products.

Go to this link. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestapp.html

It tells you who needs a licenses. In each licenses section it says restricted use pesticide .

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I assume Mr. mowerparts is a licensed pesticide applicator? Of course not!

This is not the first time someone has happened on a single web page and read all kinds of ideas into it, and it's not the last. The page referenced above is concerning farmers and other growers who need to be licensed to apply RUPs to their own crops. If one wants more info on pest licensing, one must go on to The BEPC Pest Control Section.

mowerparts, please make that phone call to learn a little, and quit this disinformation barrage.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.