Another 'Which Mower Should I get'

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
We have a HyperDrive and a 997R Diesel. There is no comparison of the hydraulics, the hyperdrive is more responsive, lighter feel, tracks better and the difference isn't small, it's HUGE! The rear discharge 997 makes a much nicer cut at 3.75-4" but I'm completely happy with them both.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I think he wanted a diesel mower.
Right on, and why I mentioned the 997R. Lots of power for pulling hills and it is a diesel as he said he wanted.

As often happens on here, many post in favor of what they run and ignore what the OP says they are looking for. Glad I am not the only one to pay attention to the fact he said he wanted diesel. The TT II with the diesel engine is an option for sure, but the OP may want more power than what Scag's diesel offers if he has steep hills. The TT is a fairly heavy mower. If I were looking at a new machine today, it ( the TT II) would be number one on my list so I am not against them by any means.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Right on, and why I mentioned the 997R. Lots of power for pulling hills and it is a diesel as he said he wanted.

As often happens on here, many post in favor of what they run and ignore what the OP says they are looking for. Glad I am not the only one to pay attention to the fact he said he wanted diesel. The TT II with the diesel engine is an option for sure, but the OP may want more power than what Scag's diesel offers if he has steep hills. The TT is a fairly heavy mower. If I were looking at a new machine today, it ( the TT II) would be number one on my list so I am not against them by any means.
When I offered my opinion I didn’t ignore or overlook the fact that the OP was interested in a diesel.

I only suggested that he might want to demo and consider other options before making his final decision. Final decision is the OP.

If the OP has his mind already convinced that he will only buy a diesel of a certain brand, what you or I suggest will probably have little influence on his final decision.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
When I offered my opinion I didn’t ignore or overlook the fact that the OP was interested in a diesel.

I only suggested that he might want to demo and consider other options before making his final decision. Final decision is the OP.

If the OP has his mind already convinced that he will only buy a diesel of a certain brand, what you or I suggest will probably have little influence on his final decision.
What I said is something that happens with regularity on here and that is simply fact. Many threads start going far off course due to it too. I have no agenda here nor mower favorite in this hunt, but to me, if a person says they are looking for "X", it makes no sense to start suggesting "Y" as an alternative unless the OP comes back and says he is willing to consider other machines.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
What I said is something that happens with regularity on here and that is simply fact. Many threads start going far off course due to it too. I have no agenda here nor mower favorite in this hunt, but to me, if a person says they are looking for "X", it makes no sense to start suggesting "Y" as an alternative unless the OP comes back and says he is willing to consider other machines.
Agree, it does happen regularly and that is a fact. Neither do I have an agenda in the current thread.

If a person says they are looking for X and someone suggest they might consider Y as an alternative, there is no harm done and the thread is not being purposefully hijacked. The OP may have never considered Y had they never entertained the suggestion. The OP always has the option to ignore unwanted suggestions and or opinions.

Threads more often get off course when two individuals like you and I bicker back and forth over a statement made.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Agree, it does happen regularly and that is a fact. Neither do I have an agenda in the current thread.

If a person says they are looking for X and someone suggest they might consider Y as an alternative, there is no harm done and the thread is not being purposefully hijacked. The OP may have never considered Y had they never entertained the suggestion. The OP always has the option to ignore unwanted suggestions and or opinions.

Threads more often get off course when two individuals like you and I bicker back and forth over a statement made.
I'm not bickering. You may be on your end. I have no idea since I can't hear any inflection and can only read written words.

Like I said, the problem arises when people suggest things outside the scope of what an OP says he is looking for and more and more suggestions outside the scope are made since the door has already been opened.

I understand the making a different suggestion point, but to me, it is not helpful. I say tyhat because when I found this forum, I was looking for an informed answer to a specific question by someone that had actual experience with what I was inquiring about and before long, everything but the topic at hand was being talked about and I simply left the thread as it was doing me no good. That is why I make my remarks previously- been there, done tha and can understan the frstration someone may feel when asking for help when they have given specifics already. If it is someone that really doesn't know what they are looking for and asks a general question, that's a horse of a different color then..

Regardless, I made my suggestion and the OP can take it or leave. I wish him well in whatever direction he goes.

Prestigious1

LawnSite Senior Member
Ridin' Green I couldn't agree more with you! It's constantly being thrown into the mix...Hustler that is when it's never been brought up. Usually most people has a done a fair amount of research on these things...if they were considering that brand they would have it on their list!

JLH52...well I suppose you can see where I stand...no matter what anybody asks, you always respond with the same Hustler this and Hustler that. That certainly appears to be an agenda. Now that MTD owns them, I would not be recommending them to anyone, not that I ever did before, but certainly won't be now. I wish you the best of luck with your Hustler, you obviously are very happy with it, but maybe trying to stick with the models they have it narrowed down to and offer your insight on those would be more beneficial.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Ridin' Green I couldn't agree more with you! It's constantly being thrown into the mix...Hustler that is when it's never been brought up. Usually most people has a done a fair amount of research on these things...if they were considering that brand they would have it on their list!

JLH52...well I suppose you can see where I stand...no matter what anybody asks, you always respond with the same Hustler this and Hustler that. That certainly appears to be an agenda. Now that MTD owns them, I would not be recommending them to anyone, not that I ever did before, but certainly won't be now. I wish you the best of luck with your Hustler, you obviously are very happy with it, but maybe trying to stick with the models they have it narrowed down to and offer your insight on those would be more beneficial.
Like I've already said, the OP has the option to disregard any opinions that he deems unhelpful.

Evidently the OP was thankful for the suggestions given based on his first statement in post #6, where he said “Great advice -- thank you to all.”

I have no agenda. I only suggested the OP might consider other options. He's free to completely ignore anyone’s suggestions.

I don’t have a clue what the future holds in store for Hustler or Big Dog. I would assume that anyone in the market for a new Hustler would also consider the buyout as a reason to look at other options.

OP
J

josephny

LawnSite Member
Wow, I (the OP) just got caught up.

I do very much appreciate everyone sharing their ideas and suggestions. I is indeed very difficult to know the smartest route.

It made sense to me to find out what is sold locally. Unfortunately, the selection of dealers is extremely limited. I would feel much more comfortable knowing there is a dealer reasonably close should I need one -- but not needing one is certainly the best outcome.

As for diesel, I have it on site and this machine (as many other types of machines I have) could easily sit unused for quite a few months every year (Winter), which is not so good for gas. (Yes, I can drain and do other storage things, but I'd rather not add another machine to the list.) And, that is in addition to the benefits of diesel.

On the other hand, I do have plenty of gas machines, so it's not out of the question.

There was a comment about needing lots of power -- more than the TT II could provide. I'm all for lots of power for the hills and slopes.

So, I'm open to gas.

What machine would provide more power and stability on slopes and rougher terrain?

Thanks!

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
I don't think any of the Turf Tigers are under powered. You might want to see which one your dealer can get , the supply chain is screwed right now , for just about every manufacturer.

Top Forums