Another 'Which Mower Should I get'

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
But , the diesel probably matches it or beats the other two in torque.
I'd go with Kawasaki or Kubota. Both are super reliable. They keep the diesels 25 hp or lower due to emission regulations. They don't have to run a emission additive.

The don

LawnSite Member
I don't think anyone said anything about a grasshopper but i believe the OP had that on there list and I also think they said there isn't a dealer for grasshopper any where close. But since I have only run a few diesels because I personally prefer gas myself i can only offer the experience I've had for the ones I've used in the field. First one is a toro diesel that seemed to work well except for a few problems i had with the cooling system minor but something i took note of. It did seem slightly under powered. Second was a grasshopper a 72 and 60. I did enjoy them both and the Kubota diesels gave them plenty of power. In my personal opinion grasshopper is one of the best machines out there I'm sorry you do not have a dealer close. I operate out of Florida so as far as hills go I cannot testify to anything on that matter. And since you did mention something about grasshopper I figured I'd give you my experience I've had with their diesels. Riddin Green and a lot of other gentlemen offered some very great advice. Hope this helps. Good luck in your decision sir.

OP
J

josephny

LawnSite Member
Thank you all again for sharing your suggestions and experiences.

It sounds like all three engine options are good. That's good, but a little surprising.

Just to be clear, for a 72" deck doing plenty of hills, any of those engines would be powerful enough (hp, torque, etc.), right?

JohnD2

LawnSite Member

It sounds like all three engine options are good. That's good, but a little surprising.

Just to be clear, for a 72" deck doing plenty of hills, any of those engines would be powerful enough (hp, torque, etc.), right?
Yes , plenty of power from all three.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member

As much air as today's decks are moving, you'll probably absorb more HP turning the deck than navigating a slope.

The Kubota and Kawasaki engines are phenomenal choices, light years ahead of the Vanguard. The diesel is gonna deliver smooth, consistent torque for many years. The water cooled Kawasaki will last a long time too. I've got two Kawasaki's and have owned two Kubotas. They will outlast any air cooled option. And with the amount of price increase we've been seeing on these things, longevity over many years should be considered so you don't have to purchase again...

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
As much air as today's decks are moving, you'll probably absorb more HP turning the deck than navigating a slope.

The Kubota and Kawasaki engines are phenomenal choices, light years ahead of the Vanguard. The diesel is gonna deliver smooth, consistent torque for many years. The water cooled Kawasaki will last a long time too. I've got two Kawasaki's and have owned two Kubotas. They will outlast any air cooled option. And with the amount of price increase we've been seeing on these things, longevity over many years should be considered so you don't have to purchase again...

When you say the Kubota diesel and the Kawasaki water cooled are light years ahead of Vanguard. I assume you’re comparing the water cooled engines to an air cooled Vanguard.

Therefore that's not apples to apples for an equal comparison. If you compared all three air cooled or all three water cooled would the Vanguard be inferior as you stated?

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
When you say the Kubota diesel and the Kawasaki water cooled are light years ahead of Vanguard. I assume you’re comparing the water cooled engines to an air cooled Vanguard.

Therefore that's not apples to apples for an equal comparison. If you compared all three air cooled or all three water cooled would the Vanguard be inferior as you stated?
I was replying to the engines in question available on the Turf Tiger. So yes, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

However, I do feel the Kawasaki is still a better air cooled unit than the Vanguard, but once again, not an apples to apples comparison. I don't think Kawi offers anything with enough HP in a horizontal shaft tonrun a Turf Tiger. Kohler on thebother hand does. And Kubota has no air cooled engines.

Kawi has something of a cam adjusting system on the rockers for both air and water cooled. Kohler has hydraulic lifters so never needs adjusting. Kawi's FX and FD valve train, starting and charging system, are all more robust than the Vanguard. You can physically see the difference placing them side by side. My Vanguard stuff struggles to start in the cold months due to lack of compression release and weak factory starters. I usually replace any factory Briggs starter with an aftermarket unit from D&B electrical if it gives problems.

2000 hours is about the life expectancy for air cooled units, but it seems I spend more money on minor repairs with my Vanguard stuff getting it to that 2000 hour point...

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I My previous 2005 Kohler 28 EFI, which I traded at 1200 hrs always started instantly. Whereas my current 2018 Vanguard 37 EFI now at 685 hrs varies in how fast it starts, usually instantly, but occasionally not instantly.

Top Forums