1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Answering Machine question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnsonLawn, Aug 1, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you guys ask the caller about the services they are interested in as a part of your outgoing message on your answering machine. If so, how do you word your outgoing message to include this question. I was thinking of doing this to better prepare myself for the callback. I would like to have a idea as to what they are looking for before I call them back. Thanks guys

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

99% of customers will tell you anyways. My message says to leave your name and number and I will call back ASAP. Everybody that has left a message has told me what service they want and the details.

3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not me, I get alot of people who don't even leave a name, just "call me back @ xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will talk to you then. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to want to know what their interested in. I want to be able to call them back and say "so I understand that you are interested in having a patio installed, how can we help you?". I just think it sounds more professional. Thanks for the input.

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont really believe what you put in your message will help all that much with what people say...

I've tried a couple different messages ... I think people just daydream until they hear the beep

5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

my viocemail message is like 30 sec long. I'm in the hauling business. i tell them what i haul, what areas i work in, etc. only my brother has complained it was to long! i've found out that the more info i give in my message, helps to weed out those customers i dont want or arent in my work area. I do NOT response to text messages either. I screen all my calls and let it go into viocemail instead. i return all calls as soon as possible also