Any advice for permanently repairing this yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Doughertylawncare, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Doughertylawncare

Doughertylawncare LawnSite Member

Need advice on fixing this lawn. I did a soil test... ph is fine. Phosphorus very deficient, everything else is fine.
    My plan is to aggressively aerate the lawn followed by heavy overseeding. Then I am going to apply a thing layer of compost followed by more seed. Anything else I should do?

62778F1C-B8AC-4327-BBCE-071F5244B6BA.jpeg

E2951A57-D026-4C96-AB46-4C6F92F7EC86.jpeg

2. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

Starter fertilizer with phos seems like a no brainer. Do what you can to let in more sunlight.

Flybywire and Doughertylawncare like this.
  3. 71GTX

71GTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT.

Hold off till Fall with less crabgrass broadleaf pressure.

4. OP
    OP
    Doughertylawncare

I agree, tried to tell him last fall, he didn’t listen and wants it done now...‍♂️

Flybywire and zlandman like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Doughertylawncare

Yea I’ll be putting some starter fert down as well, he had the trees thinned out a year or two ago. I’m going to use a lot of seed, shade and sun mix, the trick is going to be getting the roots to establish. The lack of phosphorus isnt helping. I did tell him this in the fall but he wants it done now.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  6. 71GTX

71GTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT.

Then apply mesotrione or tupersan pre emergent.

zlandman and Doughertylawncare like this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Did he have fungus or other issues last year?

TrainingWheels likes this.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

This appears to be a shade problem. No cure for this except more sunlight. Naturally, you want to use the best shade seed blend you can find, a premium fine fescue blend. Use plenty of seed--do not skimp. However--no "shade and sun mix"--too much rye. Explain to Ms Customer that ryegrass can be included for quick response--however rye is not a shade grass--it will crowd out the creeping red fescue, and then seldom last through the summer. Best to avoid rye--even though the shade grasses will be a few days slower to germinate.

Corn yes--however grass does not need much phosphorus--a soil test of 20 to 30 parts per million is fine. Phosphorus fertilizers on turf have been outlawed in Michigan, Minnesota and near the Chesapeake Bay. Our grass still looks fine. OK for starter fertilizer in most states.

In the long run--if the sun is less than 4 hours per day--it would be best to use a ground cover: Bark--or--Ajuga, myrtle, pachysandra, ivy, lamium or local favorites, accented with hosta, primrose and euonymous.

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/growing-grass-shade

Be sure there is good irrigation to carry the grass through the hot spells and in late summer when the tree roots pull out massive amounts of soil moisture.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    zlandman, phasthound and hort101 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Doughertylawncare

Also... anyone think straw is necessary?

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Regarding the title of this thread, there is no such thing as a permanent repair for any lawn except maybe synthetic turf.
    Lawn care is a continuing process, not an event. Unfortunately, many homeowners don't understand this.