Any advice for permanently repairing this yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Doughertylawncare, Apr 8, 2020.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Bunch of shade then add what looks like a good amount of traffic is going to be an ongoing job. No one and done approach here.

I would use what ever germs fast in your area. Rye/ fine fescue? Plan on overseeding every fall from here on out.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

phasthound likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Doughertylawncare

Doughertylawncare LawnSite Member

I am aware this yard will need continuous maintenance, I am referring to the initial addressing of the problem. Is there any crucial step I am missing or product I should be using.

zlandman likes this.
  4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Make sure you let the client know what to expect and set clear expectations moving forward.

I would try to get some more trees cleared up.

As far as seeding I would only put down the recommended amount at this time.

zlandman likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dougherty, I think you are on the right track. Use a bit more seed than what is recommended for ideal conditions. Straw is fine--but I think it is messy and not necessary. Substitute regular watering for straw. Get a water timer and a couple good sprinklers. Set it to irrigate at 10 and 2. Area is too shady for crabgrass--so spring is fine. Heavy shade and fallen leaves are a problem in the fall. Shade is the reason for the rock mulch around the tree. Germination of the new seed will be a little slower in spring due to cold soil conditions. I would expect the new grass to germinate about the last week of April--if--you start today.

https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/fescue-grass-seed/legacy-fine-fescue-grass-seed.html

https://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100054/beacon-hard-fescue

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Doughertylawncare likes this.
  6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I had some customers that balked at overseed last fall and are crying the blues this spring. Trying to explain once the weeds are gone that space will be bare, They don't get it.. until they see it.

I'm recommending to them to wait till fall unless they want to spend $$$ and do it again in the fall anyway.

7. Flybywire

Flybywire LawnSite Member

If phosphorus levels are that low I would have thought a triple super phosphate would have been recommended. It’s hard just seeing a few snapshots of the area but slitseeding can yield superior results and try to use a blue tag certified seed. I feel crabgrass might not be an issue with how many trees are present but more than one shot of a starter fert will help boost those levels

Doughertylawncare likes this.