1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Any applicators from deep south Texas?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sedge, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. sedge

    sedge LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 34,764

    i am recently moved/moving to the Mcallen area and want to know if there are any applicators on this forum from the area?
  2. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    Not from the valley area you mention - I'm an hour and a half N of San Antonio and about 30 minutes W of Austin.
    The license you'll need is easily obtainable through TDA, the Texas Department of Agriculture, primary category 3A Turf and Ornamental.
    I say easily obtainable only if you have a license from another State, there may be some form of reciprocity - however it is easy to check through the county extension agent or the nearest TDA office.
    You'll get more money per hour on a consistent basis with irrigation work than spraying so you might want to check into acquiring this license too - if you don't have one already.
  3. sedge

    sedge LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 34,764

    i only have a tech license in oklahoma.

    more money in irrigation? i have done some here, but not all that much. that seems odd, but is it because people will have sprinklers before they have weed control???

    thanx though
  4. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    The Rio Grande valley area has a history of agricultural use so a lot of homeowners use ag chemicals and either spray themselves or has an ag service.
    Since TCEQ has adopted a more stringent enforcement on irrigation, look to see less scrubs than usual engaged in irrigation work.
    All of this said, the only way to really make any $$ with applications is to acquire your Structural Pest license, also available through TDA and offer full service pest and lawn services.
    Admittedly my example about spraying money vs irrigation money is based upon my experiences in my area. That said I consistently get $65.00/labor hour on irrigation repairs and average only about $50.00/hr spraying.
    On occasion I have averaged over $90.00/hr spraying but that was soil sterilents and cleaning the tank took almost as much time as the spray job.
    If you can get it, spraying the copper solution to control ball moss in Live Oak Trees pays over $16.00/gallon of material but you have to first break into the niche, high end residential market and that takes time.
  5. LilesLawn

    LilesLawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 87

    I would recommend doing irrigation first, then getting your applicators license. More people in my area do weed and fungus control themselves because granular applications can be done by homeowners. They can irrigation systems also, but it takes more time.

Share This Page