Any blade combos equivalent to a full mulching kit for mulching leaves in the fall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HenryB, Oct 4, 2019.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My title says it all I'm trying to see if I can minimize the labor for fall clean ups thanks

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Meg-Mo's come as close to a full mulch kit while side shooting as I have ever found. They aren't the best grass blades IME but they destroy leaves.

sjessen likes this.
  3. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Stack 2 flat gators on each spindle. Too much blow out Meg Mo.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No more than stacked blades. Common sense should tell you that. Double sails are double sails no matter which way they are configured.

5. Turf Tracer

Better reduction gators. Also You can get gators w/less sail than meg mo.

Raised in a fixed deck the stacked gators perform much better. On standard deck where you can’t raise blades above deck edge, blowout is a wash but reduction still vastly superior w/stacked gators.

Plus meg mo will bend back in very thick leaves as they are not fixed to the disc.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

There's not much sail on Meg-mo blades. The crazy crap you post makes me almost certain you have never ran them yourself. You posy stuff just to argue.

I have video of them in thick wet leaves and they are annihilating them.They bend back in thick grass sometimes but even if they do a little in leaves, so what? It isn't like you are trying to leave a crisp cut. All we're talking here is chopping leaves, and for that they reign supreme.

Not much sail on MM as can be seen in the blade at the bottom of the MM here, but four per spindle makes a huge difference and they don't drain power like stacked blades will

100_2485.jpg

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I am very happy with my G5's double stacked with a regular gator. Still leaves a great cut and makes leaves go away.

8. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

price warrant the increase mulching?

9. Turf Tracer

ran 2X regular gator. Less blowout than meg mo and far better reduction.

If you get into deep pile w/the megs they just bend back. And barely chop.

Never found any use for the Megs. Had 4 discs and bunch of spare knives hanging on a hook in the shop for almost 10 years.

10. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

I blow them into a pile with a backpack and a push blower... Literally 4+ft. high and then run my mower over them. It works really well in reverse. I fabricated a block off plate out of expanded metal that I manually attach. This setup with destroy leaves down to nothing.

hort101 likes this.