• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

any chance getting commercial accounts just mowing?

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
i'm part time. mostly just mowing.

it sounds like the guy i partnered up last read (who is full time fertilizer and snow plowing) sold his business.

i work at a place that has about 30-50 commercial businesses along its road.

do i have any luck doing just mowing getting some work from these?

OP
grass disaster

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
any of you other guys that just mow have a hard time getting commercial accounts? or to you just team up with someone like tru-green to at least cover the lawn and fert side of the business.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
i sub out fertilizing. Just put the price in the quote. If they ask...tell them what you do. If they don't, let them assume that its you.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Most do not care as long as your price is in line. If they ask anymore just tell them that a license to apply pesticides is required and a lot of guys will do it without one but you abide by all laws.

OP
grass disaster

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
so if i go door to door on these commercial accounts. do most want a someone that takes care of everything including snow?

will i loose jobs if i only offer mowing? do i need to at least offer applications to try and seal the deal?

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
The more you can offer the better. It makes life a lot easier for business managers when they don't have to deal with several vendors. If the business is a part of a chain, the corporate office likes the fewest possible number of vendors. Now this doesn't necessarily rule you out for getting the mowing only. But if you are competing with me,
I'm selling my company by telling the manager or business owner "We do it all so you can just concentrate on your own business." (restaurants and other retail, banks, doctors, dentists.)

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
I offer all other maintenence. Mulch, trimming shrubs, annuals, snowplowing, cleanups, cleaning up the sand after winter. I think if you just wanted to mow you probably wont get them.

LwnmwrMan22

LawnSite Platinum Member
Grass -

If I remember right, you're west / north of the cities correct?

If you're around Coon Rapids, or more around the east side of the cities, or even the south, I could help you out filling in where the other guy left.

Lawn Pawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I am a solo owner operator and find it hard to get commercial accounts being that I do not offer snow plowing. Only have one commercial account where the owner himself plows. The lawn is a $12 cut as small as it is. Really only have this cause we both go back about 30 years.

Honestly.... I think they should stay with the full-service providers as it SHOULD be a better deal, if that full service provider is treating them right. Live very close to an industrial park with dozens of factories and offices but cannot get my foot in the door for just mowing.

I know I could do a better job for many than who they are using now. As far as price, living so near I'm sure I could be in the ball park too. Wish I had a good argument as to why they should give me a try.

I do NOT want to get into plowing, fertilizing etc. because of the liability, workload, and added insurance.