• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Any concerns with a 48" walk behind with only 13hp engine??

lithnights

LawnSite Member
Just as I was ready to buy my replacement mower, my local dealer gave me a call and said he was about to get in a John Deere 48" walk behind from a trade in. He didn't have all the details (he will get them to me after the weekend) but did state it had a 13HP engine.

Most 48 wb mowers I've seen are 15HP so is there any concern with having a 13HP? I am a homeowner who will be mowing 1/2 hour a week, no hills, and won't be mowing high or wet grass.

The price he gave me is $1800. He said it is 3 years old and retailed new for $2900 but a local college bought it using a subsidy for about $2400, thus how he got it so cheap and is selling it so cheap. The mower hour meter shows 4 hours on it so it seems like an amazing deal. (He said the college said it sat in their warehouse for years and was not used..thus the 4 hours).

I never imagined getting a nearly brand new (4 hours) John Deere 48" walk behind for $1800 so I am going to jump on it. For peace of mind, I was just wondering if the 13HP is a concern for what I would be using it for.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan90si

LawnSite Member
If you are mowing in conditions like you stated, then you should be fine. The hills and high and/or wet grass is were you may start to run into problems. I have a couple 14hp 52" WBs as back up mowers and they do fine as long as you aren't trying to break a land speed record on hills or in a lot of growth.

OP
L

lithnights

LawnSite Member
If you are mowing in conditions like you stated, then you should be fine. The hills and high and/or wet grass is were you may start to run into problems. I have a couple 14hp 52" WBs as back up mowers and they do fine as long as you aren't trying to break a land speed record on hills or in a lot of growth.
Good to hear. No, no hills at all and if there is a lot of growth, I go slower or cut twice. My old Gravely 36 was a 13hp and I never had any problems with cutting what I cut. I guess I was just concerned that adding that extra 12 inch cutting width and likely a little bit of weight for the same HP engine would be OK. But I guess they make them as commercial mowers so I'd think it would be fine..especially for a homeowner.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
13 horses is plenty of power, the main reason most start at 15 is for commercial applications, my 48" Toros do get up to around 7mph but I had an old 52" with a 13hp briggs... It's still powerful enough thou at times you have to go a bit slower, the sheer size of the machine makes up for that, whether 36" faster or 48" a bit slower is still as much grass cut / hour if it's that thick, and I think you'll hardly even notice.

I'd say it's the perfect machine for a homeowner, I'd jump on it in your shoes, too.

RedMax Man

LawnSite Platinum Member
I have a 14hp. Kaw. on my 48" Toro Proline gear-drive walkbehind. I've mowed though everything, tall or short, steep or flat. Just keep the blades sharp. I also have a Velke sulky that i ride on often except for on large hills.

OP
L

lithnights

LawnSite Member
13 horses is plenty of power, the main reason most start at 15 is for commercial applications, my 48" Toros do get up to around 7mph but I had an old 52" with a 13hp briggs... It's still powerful enough thou at times you have to go a bit slower, the sheer size of the machine makes up for that, whether 36" faster or 48" a bit slower is still as much grass cut / hour if it's that thick, and I think you'll hardly even notice.

I'd say it's the perfect machine for a homeowner, I'd jump on it in your shoes, too.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the 13 will be enough for my needs. And I'm guessing I definitely don't need any extra HP for speed. Can anyone really walk behind a mower going 7MPH? :walking: I tested out a Ferris (which claims a top speed of 5MPH) at top speed and I was practically running behind it!