1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any fencing contractors here?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RDALawns, Feb 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Texas

One of my best customers asked me to build them a 4ft chain link fence 628' total length. I told them I'd figure up a price and get back to them. I've figured the materials at a cost per foot . I don't care if I don't get the job so question is what's the going rate per foot to build a fence materials included.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I dunno what it is in texas, but my wild azz guess is you are some where around $30 per lin foot. thats a long fence thou...could be economy in bulk.
    I try not to do too many chain link fences, I leave that mostly up to the guys that do commercial fence contracting, I only build fences for residential and its most often wood.
    are you cementing the posts or pounding the posts? Makes a big difference on price.

3. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

I've planned it out with corner in concrete and maybe every 3rd or 4th line post in concrete.

4. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

I didn't seek the job out. He came to our office to pay his bill. My wife took his payment. I just finished up building a fence in our backyard for my corgi's. He mentioned the fence to my wife she said yea Rob built it. Lol oopps he called me last nigh to see if I'd fence in his back yard. Things are picking up here but I'm not busy yet. I'm thinking 3 days to build it . I didn't really want to do it but he is a good customer I've had for 8 years now.

5. TPendagast

Male

what are you basing three days on?
    Thats over 200 lf per day?
    is this by yourself?

Id give yourself a week.
    Not to mention how are you getting the materials? Are you have a supplier drop it off on site and you are just ordering it? I suggest doing it that way.

You can get an air compressor and whats called a Rhino Post driver, you should be able to rent them.
    you want a helper, think of it like lifting weights, you want a spotter.
    sometimes rocks or other junk in the way the post wont drive true or gets bent, so some of them well need to be hand dug and cemented.
    Add 20% on labor and 12% materials to cover this distinct possibility.
    When you pound the posts, the residential grade posts youre using will tend to mushroom a little, you will want to cut the mushroom off, so leave the posts a little high (mark the cut off area with a pencil) and that will be your new top of post.
    This way your top rail and caps will fit right.

There's a chain link mesh spreader attachment for a come-a-long you can buy if you dont already know. I can describe how to make one if you dont know or cant find one.

if you dont know how to price your time and materials, rule of thumb is materials times 3.2 add in your rental equipment plus 20% and thats your price.
    But youre probably still going to be close to what I mentioned before.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. TPendagast

Male

are you using bigger/thicker posts for the corners? There's terminal posts and line posts.
    When you stretch the chain link over a decent distance, it will have a tendency to bend the corner post if you dont get thicker metal.
    Its not AS bad with 4 foot chain mesh, but its still quite possible, especially of you get over diligent with getting the mesh tight.

7. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

I'm using thicker 2 3/8 pipe on the corners

8. TPendagast

Male

you might want to make them deeper?
    If youre using 6 foot posts for the line posts, use 7s for the terminals/corners.

9. JRJFENCE

JRJFENCE LawnSite Member

I'm a fence contractor and I know prices differ but I highly doubt anyone would pay $18k+ for a residential 4' fence. I'd be somewhere around 7k with 2-1/2" terminals and 2" line posts, including cement in all posts. Depending on what pricing you can get from your supplier you should be good around $12-$15 per linear foot