1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Any Help Will Help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JConner, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. JConner

    JConner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 174

    I was wandering if anybody on this site knows what it takes to become a certified pest control operator?
  2. Weed Busters

    Weed Busters LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    Every state is different. In MD you have to work under a certified applicator for at least a year and show documentation. It is tough to get in this state, someone from FL can help you. Best go to FL Dept. of Ag, in the pesticide regulation section and it will tell you what you need to know.
  3. bug-guy

    bug-guy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,029


    Pest control operator's certificates are issued to persons who pass the written examination(s) given by this agency and who are not minors. Qualifications for examination can be met by experience or education plus experience.

    Those qualifying by experience must document high school education or equivalency and three years verified experience as a service employee of a licensee who performs pest control in the category or categories in which certification is desired, at least one year of which experience must have been under a licensee in this state immediately preceding application for examination.

    Those qualifying through education may qualify with a degree and 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours advanced training or a major in entomology, botany, agronomy, or horticulture from a recognized college or university. You may also qualify without a degree, provided you have 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours advanced training in the above fields of study. Those qualifying through education must also document one year of service employment as a service employee of a licensee that performs pest control in any category or categories that the person is seeking to be examined in. (Those persons attending a public university in this state specializing in urban pest management which includes practical pest management experience will satisfy the one year service employment requirement.)

    If the training is in entomology, the applicant is qualified for examination in all categories. If the training is in horticulture, botany, or agronomy, the applicant is qualified for the examination only in the category of lawn and ornamental pest control.

    Summarizing, a person entering the structural pest control business must be licensed by this agency. In order to issue a business license he/she must, first, either obtain a certificate through certain qualifications and examination, or obtain the services of a person already certified, and qualified to be in the charge of the pest control operations of the business.
  4. JConner

    JConner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 174

    Thanks for the info that helps alot

Share This Page