Any high hour vanguards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by arl250, Nov 19, 2018.

1. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering how many hours y’all have gotten on these vanguard engines. I have a turf tiger with the 35 vanguard and it’s got righ at 2000 hrs and just the other day the internal governor went bad. So when they go to tear it down they just called today and said the inside of the engine looks rough. It still had good compression but the crank is messed up and lots of shavings in the engine. So it needs a full rebuild or I’m gonna have to buy a new engine. Now I know 2000 hrs is quite a bit on a gas engine however I take pretty good care of my stuff and I’m very anal about keeping the oil changed so I kinda expected this thing to last longer

2. FromUndaChz

FromUndaChz LawnSite Member
    Male, from Connecticut

We have one with about 4k hours (hour meter has been changed a couple times) and the governor has been bad for a few seasons but she still mows weekly. We have another with 2K hours and it's still running strong as ever. We're not super anal about oil changes, but we do change it at the beginning of the season and again halfway through. Our other mowers have less hours. We run Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 in them and use Napa filters. We also change the air filters every 6-18 months depending on how dusty it is

TrainingWheels likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    arl250

Same exact oil and filters I use. I considered to continue using it with the governor bad however it’s too late now it’s already tore down

FromUndaChz likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    arl250

Nobody else has a high our vanguard?

5. Gump_Runner

Gump_Runner LawnSite Member

How much are they wanting to charge to rebuild it?

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'd say that's pretty good hours. i had a kawi that blew up at 1200hrs.

7. OP
    OP
    arl250

$2100 to rebuild $3100 to install new one. I could rebuild it myself I really don’t have time though. I’m sure I’d save a ton of money however on the flip side if I were to buy the engine from them it’s $2800 so basically they’re charging 300 to install it and I’ll also get their warranty on the work if they do it

8. OP
    OP
    arl250

Really? That had to have been a freak thing I have two Kawasaki that have right around 12-1500 hrs no problems yet. My old boss many years ago had a turf tiger with a FD750D Kawasaki and it had close to 4000 hrs and no problems and as far as I know they’re still running it

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is all in the oil....dealer mechanic got us using Cerma...results good.

10. jonnystihl

jonnystihl Banned

I can see high hours like that on the liquid cooled kawi because of lower operating temps, but if you guys are getting 4000 hours from an air cooled engine that is way above norm. Sure it can be done, but they usually need work in the 2000-2500 range IME.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018