Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Natural landscape Grass Groundcover Tints and shades
I have been battling draught and fungus all summer. This spot showed its face a few days ago. Really stood out today as its raining. 1st rain in weeks. Hardly a 1/4” in the tuna can so far.

i can try to get close ups tomorrow. Just trying to figure out what it can be.
My phone does not do well with close ups, I cant find a macro setting ?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I will take a wild guess…slim mold is showing up in my area; not sure where you are located. Is there a “ash or charcoal powder” like substance on the grass blades? Can’t get a close up of the pic without it getting fuzzy

·
Super Moderator
18,934 Posts
My first thought is brown patch--however--brown patch is rare this far north in Michigan. Local advice is better.
Wait--at the same time someone is typing a note about slime mold--that is another possibility. Slime mold can be very powdery (after the slime phase.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh its fungus, i have been fighting it all season. Crazy year for me.
Lawn has not done this well in years and with it comes all the problems.
Fun stuff
That area is tough , mostly sand and rock over a unused leaching field.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that's fungus, won't that go away on its own?
It will “go away” my goal is to keep it from spreading or doing more damage. I dont know how to ID all the fungus yet. So I dont know for sure what just kills the leaves or what will get down into the crown and kill the plant.
anyway I put down some Scotts DiseaseEX and watered it in Sunday AM. Will see how it looks in a few days.
Im new to paying closer attention to my lawn care. So now I see more and want more from my lawn.
This is the first “dark” spot I have seen. So far this year I see yellow leaves, spots on the leaves, brown tips and such.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like this spot , is this dormancy setting in or fungus. I dont see the same “damage” as the other area. Again seems to be a just this really thin bladed grass?
Plant Road surface Grass Shrub Terrestrial plant

Vs the ticker Fescue

·
Super Moderator
18,934 Posts
Could be as you say, dormancy setting in.
Has the weather been hot and dry?
Can you penetrate the soil with a soil probe? Screwdriver? (5 inches deep is good.)
Irrigation missing this spot?
Can you check the soil?

Is it dry?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could be as you say, dormancy setting in.
Has the weather been hot and dry?
Can you penetrate the soil with a soil probe? Screwdriver? (5 inches deep is good.)
Irrigation missing this spot?
Can you check the soil?

Is it dry?
This area is DRY , also its over un used leaching field and mostly sand and small stone. Drainage is rapid. Gets direct sun all day. I can push a 1/2” piece of rebar up to 3’ in most areas , compaction is the least of my problems.
We just got 1” of rain will see how it greens up.
The dark spot was and is fungus. I did apply preventive rate of scotts and its at least containing it ?
The rest is pretty much dormant grass. You can not easily pull the grass blades out if your grab a hand full and tug.

·
Registered
26,352 Posts
This area is DRY , also its over un used leaching field and mostly sand and small stone. Drainage is rapid. Gets direct sun all day. I can push a 1/2” piece of rebar up to 3’ in most areas , compaction is the least of my problems.
We just got 1” of rain will see how it greens up.
The dark spot was and is fungus. I did apply preventive rate of scotts and its at least containing it ?
The rest is pretty much dormant grass. You can not easily pull the grass blades out if your grab a hand full and tug.
What fungus was it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What fungus was it?
I could not tell you the species , I posted picks , you can see the fungus spots and the grass is decaying in thats black spot.
The “yellow/tan/brown” spots dont have the fungus damage look.
good thing is my soil is getting better.
soil test in 2019 came up with .75 %organic matter, recent test was up to 3% between some loam/compost and mulch mowing it help some.
I would think with the direct sun and Im sure the rock and sand elevates temps my organic matter breaks down quickly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts