1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any Landcruiser owners here

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jamie James, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

Does anyone on this site own a FJ40 or fj45 landcruiser. I was thinking of having one for towing :canadaflag:a trailer and doing my lawns with........

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a 1976 FJ40 back in the late 90s, It had a 5" lift with 35" tires and the 350 chevy engine swap, I had the hard top with the ambulance style doors and the soft top. It was a beast off road, but kinda rough on road, and had constant engine trouble. That was the only truck Ive driven that had a different shift pattern, 1st gear was down and to the right? You actually had to get out and lock the hubs too! That thing would go anywhere though! I loved that rig, and had alot of plans for it, I was going to restore it and put in leather seats I had from a newer cadiallac! A couple friends helped me take the body off and start restoring the underside first. But it started costing alot more money than I had thought, so I had to sell it. I wish I still had it though, maybe someday I will get one again? I see ones that people have restored selling for over $40K today!!! Mine originally had the diesel engine, why they replaced that with a 350 chevy is beyond me?

Which type are you planning on getting? The FJ80s looked pretty good too, but hard to find. Many people confuse the FJ with the Mercedes G wagon. but I wouldve taken a G wagon over the FJ anyday!!

3. Jamie James

I have had about 15 landcruisers, fj40's, fj45 pickups, wagons, parts everywhere,,,,, I sold my 1984 BJ42 last year,,,, 4 cyl diesel, org, red, last year of the fj40 style, I will be looking in a few years when or if I have the money to buy one......... Up here in ontario canada we seem to have a rust issue with them and everything else,,,,,,, I would buy a rust free truck and park it in the winter indoors,,,,,,,,,,,,:canadaflag:

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

4. MikeKle

Yeah, rust is the big killer here too. My 76 FJ40s rear frame was so bad, the rear shackle was halfway hanging off! Im glad I quickly saw that and welded it back. Do you ever come across any older 70s cruisers that are basket cases for under $1500.?

5. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

6. MikeKle

Looks great, yours is in much better shape than mine was! Although I had that exact air filter on mine! I ended up parting mine out, but the only think I wanted to keep was the glove compartment door, with the shifting info on it. You could get alot of money for that today, as good a shape as it is in.

7. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Seems odd to me that so many people take out the I-6's and swap in a 350. Always did think the I-6 engine was about the best part of those rigs - althought I would prefer a diesel, maybe a good place to swap in a 4bt cummins.

Don't think i'd reccommend one for lawn care, however.

8. MikeKle

Back in the early 2000s, you could find early to late 70s FJs all over the place, now they are almost impossible to find, unless its a restored one selling for $30K or up!

9. Jamie James

*trucewhiteflag* I bought another landcruiser its a 1977 FJ45 lab org condition from Barrie Ontario.

My next one will be a bj42 or hj47 from oz

Nice cruiser in the picture above.

10. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

WOW what a clean fj40 we had one growing up just like that tan color though 76 model with a 327 v-8 and four speed...what memories...