1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any luck with 10 Watt MR 16's?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by seolatlanta, Apr 20, 2008.

1. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I have just got into the store some 10 watt MR 16s yet but I havent had a chance to check the lumens and photometrics yet-anybody tried with success yet?

keep me posted!

thanks

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I had one running at 11.9... it failed quickly... ran it at 11v and its been fine for a year now.

The lamp life is advertised as less. Alot of guys hate em because they dont last as long but at 11v I have about 12 out there lasting just fine. Longer than ultralines even :)

3. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I just went outside and put one in a fixture and I cant tell a difference. I havent checked the voltage at the fixture as it may need to be adjusted now with the lower wattage.

I have been selling a lot of 5 and 10 watt bi-pins lately. Guys are starting to catch on that the lower wattage lamps are very good esp. the 10k hour.

You can do a pretty decent size project with 200 watts of lamps now-pretty cool stuff.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

The only 10 watters I have used were Ushios. I got about 4 months out of them. I think I was running them a bit hot like Billy was saying though, I was running them on the mid to high 11s. I will have to drop down a tap on them and try again.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Ushio 10w quite a bit. I always separate the fixtures with them out so they can be volted separately. Sometimes I will add 25' 16-2 on to make sure they are .5v lower. I found he same problem on the short life and like Mr. Billy said, 11v. :D

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used Ushio 1032 Lamps here in the past. Short Lamp Life! I am not too impressed with that and have reverted to using BABs with lenses to soften.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kingsland, Texas

I've been using the Ushio 10/32 for quite awhile with no problems. I have been running them at 11v and I don't think I've had to replace any of them yet.