1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

any one go door to door

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JRS Landscaping, Mar 12, 2008.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

any one go door to door and talk to people trying to sell your service? whens the best time to do this? weekdays/ saturday? any tips?
    thanks

2. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I have been going door to door and putting flyers on their door. I handed about 500 of them out so far. I have got 7 clients from them so it is pretty good. I still got more flyers to hand out as the weather gets a little better here in CT.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Planning on hitting a few neighborhoods next week when I get my business cards...door to door for me as its cheap and I am cheap. Just make sure you see if its legal in your area. Someone last week was fined a few times here in GA.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I do door hangers but as far as knocking on doors and talking to people. Not no but heck no. I am too much of a chicken! I am not a good salesman! I envy someone like BigW in the art of the sale! Honestly I think I would rather take a shot straight to the nuts than knock on someones door and talk to them. :cry:

I go to the persons house when they call me for an estimate and tell them how much it costs and they start to bicker and I stand my ground and tell the to basically shove it. It gets really hard to hold my tounge in some instances when they start to get snotty about $5.00 a month.

I need to take some kind of a sales class to help me with this or I will probably starve.....:laugh:

5. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

I got all but one of my accounts (20) by going door to door. Keep it short and if they dont bite wish them a nice day and move on. Be friendly, smile, look them in the eye-all the same stuff you've been taught all your life. Its easy. They either need you or they dont.

This one door I knocked on landed me that yard and three of her neighbors. The lady just called them and told them she found them a yard guy. Saweet!

6. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

I did it two weekends ago. It was the first day of very nice spring weather. Went on a Saturday about 4pm. I think it is one of the best ways to get your name out there. I would definatly recommend it to anyone.

7. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yea i dont have a problem talking to people, except girls my age :hammerhead:. i learned most of my sales from my father who sells fence, i go along with him and learn how to sell. been doing that since i was 15. now im 19:clapping: