Any one have experience using a lawn vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Codie, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Codie

Codie LawnSite Member
    from Maine

its time to start thinking about leaves . I’m not in the position to buy a loader and dump trailer and see a few self propelled lawn vacs for sale and it got me thinking if there was any that actually work decent . I usually try to blow what I can in the woods if applicable and clean up by bagging with the zero turn but that blows leaves out of the front and sides making for multiple passes

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have vacuum baffles installed on your mower?

Cam15 likes this.
  3. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

Place I used to work at had a TroyBilt self propelled. Think Harry Homeowner model. Like using a very heavy lawn mower, sucked up and reduced leaves okay, bag removal to empty was awkward. After a year or two, plastic wheels were worn out, bag had a hole worn through it.Briggs and Stratton engine smoked pretty good on startup(190cc). Guess if you could find a used commercial unit that might help you with cleanups might work?

4. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

I picked up a cyclone rake that im looking forward to using, going to get a br800 also to help things out.

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a used Cub Cadet homeowner level leaf vac and I wouldn’t be without it, but it’s for hard to get to areas, not wide open spaces. Think landscape beds or ivy that for whatever reason a blower just makes a mess of it, or beds along a property line where you can’t get to the other side of it without trespassing. Make sure to get one with the hose. For what I usually use it for, I pretty much never use it but for the hose.

I generally use a blower and then mower deck with high lift blades and bagger on for almost everything. The vac is priceless for getting at hard to get at areas, slurping up pine cones, etc.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  6. MattDO4

MattDO4 LawnSite Member

I found a Little Wonder HPV self propelled for a steal at $500 locally on facebook. Tons of suction!

Codie and Cam15 like this.
  7. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Member

Me propelled Little wonder HPV. 10HP briggs will and does suck it self to the ground. This year will be, blow into a row by the road and then suck the leaves up. It does not care, wet or dry, most smaller twigs, get destroyed.

Codie, Cam15 and MattDO4 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Codie

Codie LawnSite Member
    from Maine

No I do not

9. OP
    OP
    Codie

Codie LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a br800 ( that I got a stavin good deal on ) let me know how the cyclone rake works . I’ve seen a couple posted around me for $700-1000 bucks

Cam15 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Codie

Codie LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I’ll have to look into those