Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any one does and could tell me how they did it or who sells a kit for my mower I would be very grateful. Been looking for something to help mulch better and cut cleaner the first time around.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just finished last week running doubles on my 44"/17hp all week. We had rain and snow most of the week. You need to go and buy 3 three washers with 5/8" center hole. Put your blade on as normal one in the blade collar then use the washer to help "fir out" the next blade. Most on this site run a gator blade on top and a high lift on the bottom. I used high lifts on both because thats all I had, it worked great. With doubles on that small of engine it was taxing in the tall wet grass, but does fine when dry.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it tear up my spindles? And what about the bolt do I need a longer bolt? so it fits safely?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've ran doubles on my 23hp/52" Z-Master with good results.I don't feel that you need a longer bolt as long as you tighten it properly.You will need the washers to take up the space between the blades.I've thought about having the blade saddles notched to allow doubles to be tightened together.The one drawback I had was considerable blowout on the left front of the deck.Hope this helps,Richard

·
Registered
273 Posts
The original bolt will work just fine. You definatly will get some blowout in the front, but I'd rather have that than having to double cut.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried putting doubles on my toro z but it sucked. I put 2 washers to make it fit out side of the blade saddle, the blades sat right on the saddle. I found it made my mower much more prone to scalping - I cut at 3.5 inches, and it didnt stripe very well. It works all right on my toro walk behind, and really good on my proline 21inch toro with the mulch plug in. Any one know how I can make the Z stripe better, any one offer a good kit?

·
Registered
273 Posts
like I said earlier. I just finished using mine for the 2nd week and it stripes awesome sorry that yours isn't working. You'll always be more prone to scalping if you lower the blades.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I adjusted the cutting height so it took in account the blades new height. The problems is instead of sitting up inside the deck like it is designed to it sits toward the bottom and doesnot have the same give when run correctly with only one blade per spindle.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Originally posted by bart may
The original bolt will work just fine. You definatly will get some blowout in the front, but I'd rather have that than having to double cut.
If you have an adjustable baffle under your deck it might reduce blowout if you lower it. At least it did with my Scag.
And personally, I would rather have the bolt go all the way through the nut, rather than having a few nut threads showing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes not having to reduce the amount the bolt screwd in really did not sit well with me. I would rather make less money re-cutting a lawn then throw a blade and injur or kill some one. Try explaining that one to the insurance company. I like the dixie chopper double blade adaptor its made to run 2 blade safely, and on my 36inch walk behind the extra blade just takes the place of a spacer.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I run doubles on my Z's in the Fall. So far this season haven't need them because of lack of rain. On my Toro Z-147 I just added a thick washer to make space over the blade saddle for my second blade. Used the same bolt as they are PLENTY LONG. On my Exmark Lazer, I bought new bolts that are a quarter inch longer as the Lazer blade bolts are VERY SHORT compared to TORO's.

I got a lot of blow out with the Lazer doubled up. Yard to run over a dry leaf from the front. I switched to SAND BLADES on bottom and Gators on top. Made a big difference in reducing blow out.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.