Any real world V-10 Experience

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by srl28, Sep 13, 2019.

1. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pulling the trigger on a Ford F-450 4x4 with a 12' landscape body on it in the next few days. Can't find anything in our NJ area so we're purchasing from a dealer either in MD, VA, or MA and they mostly have gas engine trucks in stock now (6.8 V-10) with a few diesels still available. The truck will mostly be used for mulch in the spring, pruning, hauling brush, and will tow a leaf vac in the fall. Would probably plow with it in the winter as well.

We're obviously about $10k lower going the v-10 route vs. diesel. We're concerned about not only the upfront diesel engine cost but the maintenance and DPF/Emissions stuff of course. It should be noted that 95% of our work is within 10-15 miles of our yard. We have a few trucks that are 5 years old with under 50k on them.

Any real world experience with these V-10s as far as power and towing goes. Not terribly worried about fuel economy.

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Buddy had a '01 v10 f350 he used to pull his toy hauler. He would get about 7mpg pulling the hauler and he always used lots of the fast pedal. Sadly, he traded it for a 6.0-he still wishes he had that V10. I don't think I will ever buy a new diesel again. IMO you would have to be putting on over 30k miles a year to justify the extra expenses that come with a new diesel. When I was a kid working at the Amoco checking muffler fluid was a joke that some how became reality, now if we can just get a internal combustion engine that runs on water...

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

We have been transforming our entire fleet to gas. I have been a huge diesel advocate for years...even traveled the east coast drag racing a diesel truck for several years.

But with the new emissions era, I can't and won't keep up with the new regulations.

I have limited experience with the V-10's I had a 2001 F-350 single rear wheel with a V-10 for around 6-8 months. It had 254K miles on it when I got rid of it and it still ran great. I got rid of it because we were not using the truck as much as I thought I was going to and needed to free up some cash. I would not hesitate to get a newer one down the road

hort101 likes this.
  4. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don’t think you will regret has one bit. I always had diesel trucks till my last one. In 2017 I found a leftover f350 with 12 ft landscape body that had the 6.2 v8 gas and it pulls great. Yes it does use more fuel I get about 7.5 mpg pulling the trailer. However it was like you said 10k cheaper than a diesel and maintenance is so so much cheaper. Only thing I had to get used to was the high rpms when pulling heavy loads up a hill or something. Other than that I can’t complain one bit.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a v10 when you could still get them in the F250. Heck of a puller with plenty of power. No issues in 3 years. Quite the gas hog though.

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

The way I see it if you run the balls off a gasser for 10 years and need to rebuild the gas engine, you can put a new crate motor in for less then half what a diesel rebuild cost. Plus a ton of shops work on gas engines VS diesel specific shops.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is very true.

sjessen likes this.
  8. greenfire

greenfire LawnSite Senior Member

Ford E450 with the V10. Excellent motor, never a problem. Keep up on the oil changes. It will run high rpms pulling a heavy load up a hill.. but the 10 cylinders don't seem to mind it.. gets the job done. Sadly they truck was recently totaled in an accident.

9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

The V10 is part of the older Triton platform.

Solid truck engine. It was the bigger gas motor option over the 5.4.

They are getting older and would check maintenance. Find out when the cops where changed as they can be goofy. They are the same across both the 10&8 as is a few others are the same too.

10. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the one the op is looking at is brand new. The v10 is still offered in f450 and 550 cab and chassis trucks