Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought the 150 I have been slowly looking for a dump truck. I found a good deal on a 2000 Western Star tri axle. The guy I bought the excavator is telling me I am better off with a tandem. He said if I was just trucking a tri would be fine.

This make any sense?

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Since I bought the 150 I have been slowly looking for a dump truck. I found a good deal on a 2000 Western Star tri axle. The guy I bought the excavator is telling me I am better off with a tandem. He said if I was just trucking a tri would be fine.

This make any sense?
depends on what your using it for. The plus with the triaxle you can work for a broker hauling if you or your driver is slow.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
depends on what your using it for. The plus with the triaxle you can work for a broker hauling if you or your driver is slow.
I would have to agree with you, out here the tri is getting phased out and people are going with quads. The only way I could see a tandem is if it was super lightweight so you could haul alot. Just remember that you aren't going to make your fortune with the truck and you will be fine.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
What in the h*ll do you want to carry more than 15 ton for. Out here in B.C. is all we use is tandems the trucks are paid by the hour. More you haul on the truck more your killing it and burning excessive fuel.

We have tridrive trucks and tandem tandem trucks both are tire eaters and you don't get paid anymore for it. If you want to haul more buy a pup trailer.

A tandem axle is good for 57,540lbs thats good enough a tridrive is good for 72,000lb gross but the frigging truck can't go anywhere but a straight line.

When you have 3 drive axles loaded and 12 drive tires scuffing on the ground it doesn't matter how sharp the front wheels turn the truck goes straight. You lock all 3 drive axle lockers and power dividers and turn the steering wheel it will just push the steering tires sideways on dry pavement.

Guys were using tandem tandem they steer a little better but with tandem steering axles the truck needs a foot ball field to turn around. A tandem tandem is good for 77,000lb gross.

Now to reshod a tridrive dump truck your looking at 9500 dollars in tires a regular tandem axle your looking at 6000 dollars. The drive tires on a tridrive dump last about 3 months if you rotate them so every three months your gauranteed a 4000 dollar tire bill just for drive tires.

A tandem axle dump you can squeek 6 months out of a set of drives maybe a year if your easy on the sharp turns. A recapped drive tire is 500 dollars each a supersingle steer tire is 1200 each.

If this is going to be your own use truck go with a tandem its cheaper on tires and the truck isn't busting a gut. Guys hauling by the ton have to have their head examined. Trucks here are paid 100 dollars per hour work 8-10 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Boy. All the landscape boys want to play with the real toys don't they.

I own two triaxles and can't even think of surviving without either one. There are times where having two triaxles and a 25 yard dump trailer isn't enough.

You can save yourself a ton of cash on jobs if you have your own trucks versus hiring trucks all the time.

Plus any time you want to have a truck you can have it. With someone else's trucks they might have a big job that they need all their trucks on and you can't have any so you're stuck. If it's your truck you always have it.

The only downside to having a truck is once you have a truck everyone wants you to run it for free. Keep in mind a triaxle costs you 1$ a mile in fuel alone nevermind rubber, driver, etc.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GR your tandems might work in BC, but the standard in the US is a triaxle. If you don't have a triaxle you're not worth having.

If you've got ANY knowledge of driving a triaxle you know that you pick up your push axle to make a tight corner and put it down once you're on the other side. Even my guy that doesn't have a CDL knows to pick up the push axle! (he was ridin in the passengers seat and reminded me of it)

With a pup trailer you might as well get yourself a truck tractor and dump trailer. That way you can switch to a lowbed to move around all your heavy stuff.

The real reasons triaxles are a good idea are:

1: you can drive them with just a straight truck license
2: they're maneuverable
3: they're simple to operate

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
If he is hauling for his own jobs the customer pays his trucking so if he is only hauling 15 tons worth of material so what thats all what the truck hauls.

If a home owner wanted a contractor to operate a truck that hauls more than a tandem the contractor would tell the home owner to stick it up their you know where. Dump trucks are already profit loosing if you can't do ALL the repairs yourself and you drive the truck yourself.

A tandem axle dump with a tandem axle pup trailer will gross 94,000lbs so you can pack about 30 tons of material. A tandem and quad axle transfer will gross 135,000lbs and carry 40 tons of material.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I can pack 20 yards of topsoil into my triaxle just fine. Maybe with your @$$ backwards laws in Canada you can only haul 15 tons, but I'm putting 25 or so in my triaxle. Why in the hell would I want another vehicle to register, insure, and maintain?

Dangit I just figured out your problem, GR. You deal with homeowners. What on earth would possess you do do that?

I do commercial and government jobs ONLY. The closest I get to working with a homeowner is installing a new septic system in a group home for the Department of Mental Retardation.

This year I have had more work than I know what to do with. REAL work is still going on.

Your homeowner work has gone down the tubes yes, but when I'm working on a 3 million dollar project to install wood heat for 5 acres of greenhouses and doing 40+ hours of D8 sized dozing per week with 2 guys we stay busy.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I can pack 20 yards of topsoil into my triaxle just fine. Maybe with your @$$ backwards laws in Canada you can only haul 15 tons, but I'm putting 25 or so in my triaxle. Why in the hell would I want another vehicle to register, insure, and maintain?

Dangit I just figured out your problem, GR. You deal with homeowners. What on earth would possess you do do that?

I do commercial and government jobs ONLY. The closest I get to working with a homeowner is installing a new septic system in a group home for the Department of Mental Retardation.

This year I have had more work than I know what to do with. REAL work is still going on.

Your homeowner work has gone down the tubes yes, but when I'm working on a 3 million dollar project to install wood heat for 5 acres of greenhouses and doing 40+ hours of D8 sized dozing per week with 2 guys we stay busy.
wow that was a verbal ass whoooooooopin!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Mrusk was right...guys that haul equipment run tandems...plain and simple, you have to plan for future jobs...if you use the quarry to haul your stone then it doesn't really make sense to buy a tri...if you need to haul a lot of material from a job then you hire a trucking company anyway...tandems are so much easier to back into jobs and pull trailers

if you plan an trucking more then trailer pulling then a tri might be a better option...they can only haul about 5 more tons but if you are trucking 300 tons of material to a job on your own that adds up...

all of you that say a tri is the only way to go....have you ever tried to pull equipment with a tri? you have no idea what the roads here on the east coast are like...the shorter the better

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Here tandems are 54,000 typically, tri can go to 62,000 or 64,000(can't rember exact) and quads go to 73,000, semi's are 80,000. How big is the dump box usually out there?
17-18 on tri's...theres a guy around here that has a 16 on a tri and everytime he gets pulled over and weighed on movable scales he gets smacked because theres too much steering axle weight...

we run a 15 on our tandem

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dirt digger I pulled equipment on Connecticut roads with a triaxle and tag for years until I got a lowbed and a truck. It's not bad as long as you know what you're doing.

I have relatives in the Chester area of Pennsylvania and the roads there aren't much worse than roads up here.

The road my yard is on has potholes that are probably a foot deep and take up half the road. I'll try to get some pictures of the road some other time.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.