1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Any recommendations on a good accurate PH-Tester?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googles, Sep 29, 2008.

1. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy a good ph tester but I want one that's accurate. I hear a lot of them are junk and unreliable. I would rather not use the chemical test since I want something that’s fast and easy. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy?? Thanks

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This sounds lame I know but Home Depot carries a little probe type for about 18-25 bucks, Fennimore or Ferrimore is the brand name. They usually keep them by the seed packs.

It tests PH and it also tests "fertility" we are pretty sure fertility is just Nitrogen. It is a simple 3"x3" cube 1/2" thick with 2 probes you just stick it into the soil and it has a needle like a speedometer that goes to the level to read PH or fertility.

We have tested it against a much more sophisticated and expensive tester where you have to make a paste of purified water and soil and put it on a recessed area to read and it comes up in a digital reading. They read the same on every time we compare them. My father in law has the expensive tester we borrow it from time to time when we have serious problems but we carry the Ferrimores for normal day to day stuff.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Harbor Freight has one on sale right now for about 4 bucks! lol

4. OP
    OP
    googles

Has anyone used these type of probes and are they good? They seem more high end then the home depot one. not sure though. here a pic of the ones i been seeing on the internet that look good. anyone that has used these please let me know.

long and short meter.jpg

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I went through a lot of excersizes before I learned what I needed to know about pH meters and pH testing.

This describes what I found out, how the cheapo pH metes did, how the $100 Hanna Instruments pH meter did, all correlated to soil tests sent in to the NYS Cornell U cooperative exchange.

I consider this a definitive amatuer study on measuring pH, and how to do it as cheaply as possible but still having reliable results.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=213494&highlight=ph+meters

6. Whitey4

The "in soil" testers are good, but VERY expensive. Bottom line... a good pH meter MUST have a glass electrode. MUST. The accurate "in soil" testers run over 400 bucks.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I always carry a kitchen soup ladle with me, so I can dig up a nice chunk of dirt and chew on it,
    that way the taste gives me a solid indication as to the condition of the soil.
    Although I have to admit, it is a bit of an acquired taste, and it gets gritty.

But I tell you what...
    I was seriously considering doing exactly that the other day in front of a savvy
    customer who thought they were so smart asking me all kinds of questions.

What can I say, wise guys everywhere :p

Hmmm, interesting, I might consider one of those.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. OP
    OP
    googles

The ph tester i put a pic on do they have the glass electrode and if not can you give a link to where i can by the one you recommend. also can you replace the electrode in yours?

9. Whitey4

Google Hanna Instruments. The electordes are replaceable. (They DO have a limited lifespan like a light bulb). The one you posted looks like a non glass electrode type... but there is one that does not have a glass electrode, also by Hanna, but it runs about 400 bucks as in "on soil" tester.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the 4 dollar one works better then u would think