Any replacement for fiesta

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MPMJ, Sep 16, 2018.

1. MPMJ

MPMJ LawnSite Member

working out of southwestern Ontario, Canada. Just wondered if any of the guys around here use anything different than fiesta for weed control. It’s a little pricey and is hit or miss. Just wondered if there was anything that is legal for us to use that will do a better job? Thanks everyone

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ontario--chemical weed control not permitted--is that right? You might want to apply a similar type chelated-iron product. You might get the same results--and pay less.
    There is nothing wrong with hand pulling. After a time you will figure out what kinds of weed digger tools work best for your situation. 15 minutes at each application, or whatever you can agree to with your customer. Protect yourself--limit the time.
    Naturally, you will want to overseed with better grass to reduce weed invasion. The customer pays, of course. Overseed at a heavy rate with one of the new super-dense Kentucky bluegrass cultivars.
    Read the fine print; if it does not say "dense" in the product description, it's not. Try to find a seed described as "resistant to annual bluegrass (poa annua) invasion".
    "Blue Velvet", "Langara" and "Granite" stand out as dense.
    https://www.dlfpickseed.ca/professional-turf/products/bluegrass/kentucky-bluegrass/blue-velvet

Try to keep the grass as thick as possible by fertilizing intensely with a quality fertilizer, which contains plenty of slow-release coated nitrogen. Try to convince the customer to water regularly to avoid thin spots. And also to mow at the best height for whatever weed situation may occur.

Naturally, be sure to have plenty of printed and oral information, explaining how a few weeds are an indication of healthy soil. Maybe you want to explain the virtues of Mini-clover. This is good for the soil--resists weeds, adds natural fertilizer--and it cannot be sprayed.

hort101 likes this.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Fiesta works better on labeled weeds if you add a non-ionic surfactant.
    Timing is also important as it works better in the spring and fall.

ETM likes this.
  4. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

School grounds and daycares are off limits in ct when it comes to chemicals. I’ve heard guys having great luck with aeration, seeding multiple times throughout the year, handpulling and using mowing heights to an advantage. I.e low cutting the weeds surface tissue off then raising mowing height next time around to try and shade them out. I would really watch the watering , it’s been rainy here all season and I’m blanket spraying on lawns I haven’t had to do more than spot spray in years. Heavy watering once or twice a week, the top of the soil needs to dry out or you’ll have heavy weed pressure.

hort101 and phasthound like this.
  5. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I do a fair amount of handpulling, it sucks but you should see the reactions I get when the customer gets home from work and the weeds / crabgrass is gone. It’s a miracle! And free, But like Riggle said time yourself or you won’t make any money.

hort101 likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

If you are not in Ontario--consider an EPA "Reduced Risk" low-toxicity herbicide. For instance, Quicksilver is about a hundred times less toxic than Weed B Gone. Dow Defendor is another possibility. Nearly impossible to kill a rat with these new products.
    Yet the company is not allowed to advertise the "Reduced Risk" status. That is government at work.

https://www.greenindustrypros.com/l...0453811/understanding-reduced-risk-pesticides

7. RigglePLC

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    hort101 likes this.