Any tools to keep rotary body from spinning while replacing guts?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jun 5, 2006.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use any specific tools to keep a rotary head body from spinning while trying to remove the guts, and without having to dig around the body too much?

Sometimes I jam a hand trowel down and against the body, but I'm affraid of cracking the housing.

Any tips out there?

2. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

Large channel locks.....2 pairs...one to hold body one to spin guts....

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I do that too, but sometimes the heads are kinda too low (not my install) and some digging must occur. We're trying to do 2 things: get it done quicker (less digging = faster) and have no digging (looks nicer to finicky customers).

Related rant: so many times I find the head not screwed on tight enough and they leak a bunch of water. Probably from unscrewing the body while trying to re-adjust the spray instead of unscrewing the guts and realigning.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of hard to unscrew the top of a sprinkler unless it's exposed at least a little below the threaded part. I've seen guys try and do it without digging and they're prone to get dirt/grass on the threads which leads to either too loose a fit or cross-threading accompanied by leakage. I dig up just below the cap and use special curved teeth Channel Locks; small pair for sprays, medium pair for medium rotors and large pair for field rotors.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

On old Toro rotors, a regular screwdriver could be jammed against the body just so, and catch against one of the four projections molded into the body. Takes practice, and isn't a sure thing.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Of course, if you used heads like these, you wouldn't ask those questions
    [​IMG]