anybody do a concrete patio with pebblestone thrown on top?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mayhem69, Oct 20, 2019.

1. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

I have a job at the beach in a couple weeks. The last guy did an awful stamped brick concrete job. The patio was destroyed anyway because of a pipe repair. I patched the areas with concrete and now im ready to go over top of the 500 sq ft area with something.

I originally was going to do a pebble stone and epoxy mix with 1/4" jersey yellow stone pebbles. Then i read how the epoxy will yellow, and it has to be reapplied every 2-3 yrs. Conditions are very harsh only 1/2 block from the beach. But it is the highest point of the island in OC, NJ. Its just lots of work for me, an almost 50 yr old and a 60 yr old alcoholic. And i have my doubts regarding how long it will last.
    I was also thinking about applying a skim coat of concrete and just troweling it out. Im pretty sure just that would outlast the pebblestone patio.
    Then i had an idea about throwing the pebbles on top of the wet concrete. I guess i would tamp them down afterwards. Anyone ever do this one?

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Ive seen it done at McDonald's the outdoor furniture and trashcans have pebbles pressed into concrete

Cam15 and knox gsl like this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm wondering if the look your are trying to achieve is actually exposed aggreate. The process is done by spraying a releasing agent near the end of the finishing stage. You then wash the top layer of cement away using water to expose the rock in the concrete. To do it correctly you have the concrete mixed using pea rock instead of the normal buckshot aggreate. This wouldn't be good choice since you essantially are washing away part of the 'cure' of the concrete and the salt would start corroding almost immediately.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

this is the video i saw regarding that idea.

but afterwards i was going to tamp it into the concrete and make level.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

but the concrete is already there, i just need to put around an inch of concrete to level out existing.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

You mean your 50 but you feel 60 because you're an alcoholic? Or the other way around? ;)

We don't do much concrete work, but have done something similar for a concrete water feature. You will need an admixture I think to make sure the new concrete and stone adhere properly to the old surace-it's an acrylic that you mix in. And 1" of concrete doesn't sound deep enough for a lasting product. that's more a skim coat and might be better to use a mortar mix. But there's probably someone on here to shoot that theory full of holes

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

i meant im 50 and my helper is 60 and an alcoholic, i dont drink. Anyway i could put 2" on top. I am mixing bags by hand. Im hoping to to be under 20 bags. I think you are right about using mortar. Do you have a link to the acrylic bonding agent?
    So is the proper way to throw the pebbles on top, trough smooth, then wash concrete away?

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

The process of exposed aggreate I'm describing is completely different than what those guys are doing in the video.

9. OP
    OP
    mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

are you referring to the mixed in pebbles you buy from a Concrete co. ? you trough and then wash ?
    I only have about 2" max to add concrete on top. So im not sure proper way to do? any suggestions? I just want it to last. Originally i was going to do an expoxy mix pebble patio, but not too confident with that idea at the beach.

10. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Heres one I found, but there are few brands out there. Check at your big store or a mason supply store if you have one. https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15871
    As for the technique, we mixed a slightly wetter concrete, waited about 20 minutes or so and then spread our pebbles over. Then tamped them in.. Waited an hour or two I think, it was several years ago so don't remember that well, but the concrete had definitely started to harden. Then we took a stiff bristle brush and water and brushed off the surface to get good reveal on the stones.
    I am no concrete expert, but this worked pretty well. But 500 square feet sounds like a lot of work using this method...

hort101 likes this.