Lawn Care Forum banner

Anybody done work for that "Plowz & Mowz"?

47K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Jovonee 
#1 ·
Pain in the a** to deal with or actually something worth looking into? I had was messing with the app and entered in a few of my yards I currently do and they kicked back prices much cheaper than what I currently have them for so I can't imagine there's any money to be made with these guys
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Nope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, actually. They do have a non compete in their initial agreement.

They called me this year, and I figured.. Sure, why not? Well, I know why not.

$35 lawn, they're paying $19.57. All one time mows. Which, for me, to schedule a one time mow, I'll usually double the price. Shoulda been a $70 lawn. Got less than $20.

Needless to say, I've deleted to app and would not recommend anyone use them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I have yet to find anyone that I'm willing to work with as a subcontractor.... I figured it would be nice if I had a free Saturday and wanted to do two or three lawns in the morning just for the heck of it, but I won't get out of bed, drive my truck to a job, use my equipment for hours on a unfamiliar lawn, and only make $10.... I'd give somebody $20 to let me stay in bed rather than work lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Signed up about two weeks ago. Did two lawns.

Money was okay on the first one. I think the customer entered some wrong info and the price was inflated. Seen the same lawn last week for a third the price.

Second lawn was close to a $100 lawn and they offered $40. Reason I say it was $100 lawn is because even though they said long grass in the description it it was like it hadn't been mowed in about a month. Weeds by the house were 6ft tall. :laugh: Found an Apiary and almost drove into the fire pit because I couldn't see it; Only reason I didn't was because a block was sticking out of the grass and I thought it came off the wall nearby.

I saw a 10k lawn with 'medium' length grass for close to 100 my first day but it disappeared before I could get a good look at the picture. I keep seeing the same properties so there's a chance to get some sort of schedule planned. Most are too low in price. Almost always requesting service on Fri/Sat/Sun; You would think they'd want it in the week but I guess not.

I'll keep doing it for a few extra bucks here and there just so I can get some advertising in new neighborhoods. The first properties neighbor wants me to sign her up for snow in the winter so I have that going for me.

#13 ·
I don't know how specific i can get without being in trouble from them but if you go and fill out an estimate on their website and then knock 20% off you'll get an estimate of what you get paid. Use an address you know or do and then you can make judgement as to if it works for you. They show you the amount of money you will actually receive before accepting the job.

If you feel the customer made a mistake, there's a contact button right in the app that lets you communicate your concerns. The rep will contact the customer and straighten things out. I Imagine you could turn down the job at that point.

I've e-mailed them about whether they have plans to put some kind of contactor portal online to check jobs completed, when and how much you'll be paid, etc and they respond rather quick and have been helpful so far. They may need to adjust prices a bit but overall I'm happy so far.

You have to remember that you are a sub and obviously have to expect a little less than what you would normally charge.

#15 ·
I've worked for them before, and Ive had a pretty great experience with them. Yeah, they take a little cut of the price but if I take into account the time it would take to get new customers and to deal with collecting the money, (which now I don't even have to wait for as long) it is definitely worth it. I would for sure recommend to anyone looking to find some new customers.

#17 ·
I do some work for task easy and they are pretty good. Their pricing is spot on even after their cut u just have to weed thru the low end companies that they to sucker the new guys into running themselves out of business. If you are gonna rely on a third party stick to the big guns like task easy love lawn or now and plowz

#26 ·
How does the task easy work with trimming bushes and weeding flower beds. The price they estimate for my house is about what i would expect except the premium service. the amount of bushes that I have and weeding the beds would take half the day to trim and clean up. Will you get more for that if they are over grown and full of weeds.

#19 ·
I won't even leave my driveway for less than 35.00.. they can keep the carpet rubbers and scavengers.. besides, any customers with a brain know better than to use a random service with totally random results. Lazy snow flakes that sit on the couch starring at their phone and tablet instead of caring about their property aren't customers I want in the first place. I'm in it for the Long haul.. I want owners, not renters. If I need quick money I'll just flood Craigslist for cleanup jobs and make much better money. I've put in way too much time and hard work into this. I won't pimp myself out for pennies on the dollar...

#20 ·
The app does a 70/30 split with the contractor. I've done a lot of work on the side after my regular accounts are done, so it's nice to have them be able to give you some lawns. I will say that you do get kind of screwed out of some of the deals because they don't give you as much as you would like to be making on your own, however a lot of them will ask you to do snowplowing if you show up to the same property a couple of times.

It's essentially just a requesting war, but if you did a good job on the property before you're more than likely to get the job again. I've had my issues with these guys, especially when realtors are the ones that are doing a request to show up to the house to actually see what the yard looks like. I use this app to help cover my taxes for the year, so I don't really have to dip too much into my own personal accounts to cover my taxes. The wintertime it's a lot worse with this app though, because the request will come in just as fast as it goes out. So by the time you want to have the request, it's already gone. They do a pretty good job about the snow plowing accounts though, I found that typically it Pays around $30-$35 per driveway for a small two car, but I've seen some of them go as high as $60-$90 for larger driveways.

You do have to sign a document saying that you won't take the customers, but if you show up to the property with all of your logos and they just so happen to take you on instead of using the app; there's always that. They actually just added a landscaping feature as well, but I have yet to see any landscaping jobs from this site/app. Hope that helps but ultimately it's up to you if you want to use it or not.

#27 ·
They do a pretty good job about the snow plowing accounts though, I found that typically it Pays around $30-$35 per driveway for a small two car, but I've seen some of them go as high as $60-$90 for larger driveways.
I found snow removal through Task Easy to be a blast!!! Take pictures of the snow depth at the road. Wade through the 30" pile of snow. Take pictures on the other side to show the 8" of snow. Scuffle through some more snow and show 7" of snow in the middle of the driveway. By now you can't make your fingers move to work the camera because it is -20 windchill. Move up by the house and show 4" of snow along the grass side of the sidewalk, but maybe 1" of snow along the house because the roof eaves are overhead.

But as you take pictures, you can't just stand up and get a good picture of the snow measurement on your tape measure, you also have to bend down low to get a good angle on it. Flash went off and can't see the reading. No flash and you can't see it. Move a little bit, yardlight changes focus of the camera.

Wade back out to your truck, packing down the snow even more and after a second trip through the 30" snowpile from the city your boots are full of snow. Do the job and then take pictures again. Submit the job at 4-9" of snow. Task Easy comes back and after reviewing the pictures says that they will only pay the 0-4" rate because there is less snow along the house where the eaves cover 2% of the total area so the "average" is less than 4". Spend 2 hours back and forth with them on the phone and get nowhere.

Yes, I'm bitter and won't take jobs from them anymore.

#24 · (Edited)
I think apps like this hurts the industry. Such a waste of time.

The goal isn't to mow (brush hog) random yards. The goal is to build clientele to be "their" guy for all their weekly cuts and lawn care needs.

This app seems like they are looking for general laborers to do the work so they can get paid from the sweat off the backs of others. You need to ask yourself... are you a business or a laborer?

#25 ·
I think apps like this hurts the industry. Such a waste of time.

The goal isn't to mow (brush hog) random yards. The goal is to build clientele to be "their" guy for all their weekly cuts and lawn care needs.

This app seems like they are looking for general laborers to do the work so they can get paid from the sweat off the backs of others. You need to ask yourself... are you a business or a laborer?
You are 100% correct. These apps "connect" you with the customer by getting in between you and your customer and then charging you for access to the customer. These apps kill the industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.