anybody ever use "pelletized chicken manure"

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Stegs, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Stegs

Stegs LawnSite Member

found this stuff at my local seed store. i got it for 9 dollars per bag. Covers 5000 square feet per bag (double milorganite)

Its called natures surpreme poultry fertilizer crumbles. Made here in Saranac, Mi
    4-3-2 +7% calcium
    made from dried chicken manure.
    helps with biological activity in soil and reduces thatch buildup

I put this down on my yard to see what it does. i have a very sandy soil (basically i live on a dune)

I have problems with leaching fert thru the sand, so this year ive done all organic based fert to try to build up the soil

So far, it has worked great. My lawn is a dark green, grows at a consistant rate and seems to be the thickest its ever been.

Just curious if anybody has used manure before on lawns, what your results were. Im hooked on this organic stuff for my lawn. Only thing that sticks around longer than 6 weeks....

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like good sh!t. I'm sure it works well for you.
    More and more companies are realizing the benefits of organic matter in fertilizers.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Senior Member

What lb bag is it. 4-3-2 at 1 lb N is like 2K per bag. $9 isn't a bad price.
    I have used sustain from turkey manure 4-3-4 with iron and without worked ok. Was around $20 though and from MI

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Some things to keep in mind with certain organic based ferts is that if they are microbial active, a higher % of N will be absorbed by the plant and the microbes play a role in producing more N when the plant requires it. There are also additional benefits with organic matter that synthetic ferts alone cannot provide.

5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member

Use to use the old RINGER organic fert product, which I guess is owned by "Safer" now.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Your right, he needs at least 15 pounds K to see much action on CPOO.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

For fertilizer?
    Poultry droppings is a common source for organic fert
    Sustane is the product I use
    It's turkey poo

8. Stegs

Stegs LawnSite Member

sustane? Ill have to look it up.

9. Stegs

Stegs LawnSite Member

Its the only bag i know that company makes. 4-3-2 +7% calcium. 1 bag covers 5000 square feet for lawns, and 1000 square feet for gardens (whats printed on the bags)

My lawn is about 35,000 square feet, but i put down 8 bags of it.....because its only 4% nitrogen....

I didnt buy it for the NPK numbers, i bought it to build up my soil. last week i put 3 bags down of 15-0-30 winterizer. Trying that earlier this year here in michigan. I feel my mid october app never amounts to anything.

So I winterized earlier this year, but then did the chicken manure to keep feeding the soil

Mr Efficiency likes this.