1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

anybody ever use "pelletized chicken manure"

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Stegs, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here is more on the chicken manure and pelletizing process. Nature's Supreme. Down the road about 25 miles from me. Saranac MI.
    https://www.herbrucks.com/

Click "Sustainability Story" for the video about chicken droppings and processing into pellets.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Mr Efficiency likes this.
  2. RigglePLC

If you don't mind bulk, the "Super Sack" containers are $209 per ton. Less if you order 20 tons or more. Typical analysis is typically 4-3-2 with 7% Calcium. It also has iron and several micronutrients.
    https://www.herbrucks.com/grains-fertilizer

I am not sure how well the granules, they call "Crumbles", will go through a typical lawn spreader.

What about it Mr Efficiency? How well do such products work with the "Break-thru" agitator and a Lesco or Permagreen spreader?
    Also the Prizelawn "Bigfoot Spreader".
    Of course...if they use a rotary agitation setup...you would have to find a way to put the eccentric cam inside the hopper.

Suppose you had a large wood or fiberglass box on your 3/4 ton truck. I am sure they would be happy to fill her up direct with about 1000 pounds of the 4-3-2. Then you could go to town and never have to deal with bags. Just find a way to dispense the granules from the bottom of the box like a grain bin door direct to your spreader.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    hort101 likes this.
  3. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I use a pelletized chicken poop product that is produced near me from a layer farm. They even add seaweed and humate to it. Smells to high heaven though. Layer hens are fed a diet high in calcium and phosphorus. Good stuff!

I use a 1/2 lb at every seeding or as a root stim for sod. I also use it to destroy thatch and inoculate poor soils.

hort101 likes this.
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

I think i pay around half that. Still high, but have had excellent results the last two years. All of our lawns get at least two rounds of it.

6. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

Looking into using GreenTRX one round this season. Maybe round 2.

7. cmballer

cmballer LawnSite Member

Looking for some guidance on use of the product mentioned in the original post starting this thread. 50 pounds on 5000 square feet seems awfully light. I've seen posts elsewhere referring to use of raw chicken manure at the rate of 40 pounds per 100 square feet, which seems ridiculously heavy. Anyway, in a growing season in lower Michigan, how many applications of Nature's Supreme, and how much per area, do folks think is appropriate?

8. RigglePLC

Since 50 pounds of product at 4 percent nitrogen contains 2 pounds nitrogen--you would use 25 pounds to equal the usual rate of a pound of nitrogen per thousand sqft.
    That is a lot. Costly at this rate. More labor, of course.
    So maybe a bit less would work out OK, if the greening power resulting from the manure minerals and ingredients provide adequate green. Customer satisfaction also depends on their confidence in your ability and confidence in the product applied to their lawn.
    Maybe your next treatment would include some ordinary fertilizer in the mix--like some 24-0-11.

9. EricC

EricC LawnSite Member

I checked into Screamin' Green, but our local Site One does not carry it. I don't gather there is much demand around here. They did have Sustane, and I thought he told me it was 18-2-4, but I don't see a product like that listed on their site. Maybe he said 8-2-4 and I misheard him. anyway, that's about 42 per 50lb bag.

If it's the 8-2-4 they 1 bag covers about 4,000 sq.ft. That's 11 bags for me at 42 a bag. Obviously if it was in fact 18-2-4 I'd be at around 4 bags for about 1 acre of coverage.

Do those prices sound about right for what others are paying? I guess if I want it, it's what I have to pay. Doesn't seem to be popular here.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If I ever buy this "sh$t", I will vote democrat. just sayin' :)

Doc8406 likes this.