Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody successfully installed a fuel tank gauge on a Z that does not have one? I would like to install one on mine to take the guess work out of how much gas is left.

Thanks,
ALarsh

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got my kit from JD. Took about 1.5 hrs & works great!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did u ask the dealer if toro has a kit?

·
Registered
294 Posts
There a company that makes them. I cant recall the name of it though. When i worked for TSE International, we used them there. we had to cut a hole in the fuel cells and install this little thing. it kind of looked like the float valve in the back of your john. But it worked real well, needed no wiring or any of that crap.

if you want something electric, let me know and i can find lots of places for that kind of thing.

I will try and get ahold of the guy at tse that does the buying and see if he can tell me name of the company that makes that for them.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
I would measure how deep the tank is and check with some other brand O.E.M.'s that offer a gauge in the cap. That would be much cheeper and no hassle to install.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ditto on the manual gauge. Use a tape measure or yard stick and measure from the bottom of the tank to the top of the filler neck. (Where the cap seals.) This is the measurement you need for the manual gauges.

There used to be a guy/company that sold them on ebay--All different sizes, except the one I needed. That was a few months ago. You might check more recent listings. I forget the cost but I remember them being reasonable even with shipping. I seem to recall about $20.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I wanted to stay away from the manual gauges because of the slant in the toro tank. The tank gets deeper as you get closer to the front and shallower as you get closer to the back and the cap is in the back.

Could someone please describe how an electric one works? It was my understanding that in order to have an electric one you have to have EFI?

I would appreciate it if you could get the company name redneckaustin.

·
Registered
113 Posts
EFI? For a fuel gauge? Na

There's two parts to an electric fuel gauge. The sender which has a float that moves a variable resistor. And the gauge that uses the resistance from the sender to move the needle (or electronics for digital). Both the gauge and sender must be a matched resistance pair. Just like you can't take a Ford gauge and use it with a Chrysler sender.

You'll need a set (kit) that has a float-sender that has a range of motion that fits your tank and a matching (ohms) gauge. Bear in mind that since your tanks shape is not linear, the reading will not be accurate for converting to gallons remaining. That is to say your five gallon full tank may only have 1.5 gallons when the gauge reads 1/2.

Most auto parts and rod shops carry senders and gauges that could be adapted to your tank. All you need is the tank depth. Don't try to use a set from a car or salvaged vehicle. These are usually 5-volts and you'll burn it up if connected to 12v.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
CCWKen said:
Most auto parts and rod shops carry senders and gauges that could be adapted to your tank. All you need is the tank depth. Don't try to use a set from a car or salvaged vehicle. These are usually 5-volts and you'll burn it up if connected to 12v.
Wouldn't you need more than tank depth? The shape would be important. My w/b tank is tapered, less width at the top than the bottom. Half of the fuel is deeper in the tank than half the depth. I have thought about this issue too. The simplest is take some time when the tank is empty (or empty is completely during off-season). Measure out fuel in small quantities, e.g. half gallon. Pour into tank, mark the level on some instrument that can be permanently marked and will not dissolve with gasoline. Pour in the next lift (e.g. another half gallon), mark, .... pour, mark, .... pour mark.... In the end, with a full tank, the permanent instrument will have markings unique for the shape of tank on your machine. I know taking a measurement is cumbersome, messy, and subject to getting debris into the tank, but ... better than running out.

If your tank is a regular shape, the linear measuring device should would fine. Maybe there are some electrical senders that can be calibrated for the non-linear tanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really don't think you need that much accuracy for a lawn mower. A lot of people watch the hour meter and know (from experience) when fuel is getting low. The idea is warn you when the fuel is low. It doesn't matter that the gauge reads between E and 1/4; you know it's time for gas.

I only brought up the inaccuracy because you won't be able to look at the 1/2 tank reading and expect to have 2.5 gallons left. It doesn't matter in this case--Unless you're on a trip.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The ones we used at TSE were manual. They worked off the same theory as the ones made onto the tank cap.

All the electrics that we used came already in place from John Deere and Caterpillar. I will see what all I can't find out for you though.
I would think that you wouldnt have to have EFI though. I mean, my old Ford doesnt have a "float" per se jostling around in the tank. or maybe it does. i have never looked to see. I just know that whatever it is that is there isnt real accurate..haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about a fuel guage like a Piper Cub has?

Just drill a hole in the fuel cap, stick a cork on the end of a wire, and stick the wire through the hole in the cap. Bend the other end of the wire 90 degrees after inserting into the cap to keep the wire from falling out when the cap is removed. When the end of the wire gets close to the cap, it's time to land.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.