Anybody lift paver bands with heavy equipment?

Jimmythegreek

LawnSite Member
I got a job I'm starting of 1200sqft pavers around pool surrounded by house and retaining walls. I can get pallets with my skid to edge of wall but not over it. I saw a video a while back of a guy selling screeding pole system who used a mini ex to lasso 2 paver bands and set them close to his space. They bowed in the band strapping but stayed together. Was thinking of trying it to get closer to the work being over the wall is gonna add a lot of time to moving the pavers. I don't have a mini ex or skid strong enough to lift pallet overhead with straps so that's not possible.

Anybody with tricks or tips let me know. Thanx

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
They make a band clamp that will pickup a single band clamping it from the sides. I've also seen a dolly that you set a single band on and walk it in to place. Most of the pavers I've seen lately use plastic banding which is not going work to well. There is also a trick of pushing a band on to another pallet so a miniskid can then pick them up. The trick is to have the pallet you are pushing onto pinned up against a curb or another pallet so it doesn't move. Then you can push the band onto that pallet without it moving.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Pictures would be nice

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
Does your supplier have a boom truck that can back up to the wall and set on top?
Do you have access to a Gradall?
Then there's good old fashioned brick by brick.
We have built bridges over creeks, ramps up walls, etc. Just hoped you worked it into the cost???

OP
J

Jimmythegreek

LawnSite Member
Neither on the supplier it's down to the work from the wall. I just dug out a lower spot for now so I can get the skid in real close. Just gonna seperate the skids in half onto spare pallets and sling them over the wall and as we work out I'll just hold the pallets up over wall so we can grab faster. I just hate to waste time walking pavers to the spot I always stage material as close as possible. All figured into bottom line I could rent a machine for the day and fly them in but it's a wash on paper with payroll and another thing to worry about scheduling