1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone bought from ebay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlesw, Jul 12, 2001.

1. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

What do you think about buying used equipment from ebay?
    I ran across a SCAG COMMERCIAL MOWER and was wondering what your thoughts were. It's a long drive for me to pick this one up, but I think I may keep an eye out for other equipment being sold.

Anyone living around PENNSYLVANIA may want to check this out.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1253751143

2. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Just be careful... if it doesn't work or isn't what you thought, you have no recourse.

3. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I bought something from ebay once.

now lets just say I'm experienced.:blob3:

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I've bought and sold a few times on ebay.
    I actually sold a mower on it. I set the reserve at a fair price for the mower and its condition (posted many pics and was completely honest). Well, before long the auction was over and the winning bidder payed $600 more than the reserve, plus $300 additional for shipping. That put in within 1,000 of a new warranted machine. The winning bidder didn't ask 1 question about the mower. Now by setting the reserve I though that this would give an idea what I think a fair price would be, but this person (who was in the bidding from the start and knew the reserve) kept on bidding. Actually bought it for $50 more than I payed 3 seasons earlier. I felt like I should have stopped it, but for what reason--he wanted that mower and was happy with it.

Be careful because I can see how this would happen--test the equipment first if possible.

I also bought a mower on ebay--but it was local and I was able to try it out before purchasing--and I am happy with it.

5. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I think I am with Jeffyr on this one. If it was close enough that I could test drive I might consider it. I have to do the hands on thing before I would be comfortable.

It is amazing how much this SCAG unit looks like my Ransomes Bob Cat T3100. I would say portions are a direct copy. Do they have a common design guy that runs from one company to the next?

DJ

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have bought and sold on eBay but nothing related to our profession.

7. 13yearoldcutter

13yearoldcutter Guest

I bought a set of golf clubs for $25, a good set at that. I got them and I was stoked.

8. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have bought some coins and just the other day a brand new in box Toro 21" personal pace mower. Should recieave it tommorow by fedex I have not used the personal pace system before only heard some on it What do you think about it also got this mower for $400.00 plus $45.00 S/H so $445.00 that is over $150 savings if I bought it local. Right now I just cannot justifie spending $1000 on a 21"

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't think I'd buy any big ticket itmes used from e-bay (unless they're close enough to check out first).

But I have bought several new items on there and saved quite a bit over buying at a store or shop.

So far I got:

A new Poulan Pro 22" chainsaw.
    A new Poulan Pro backpack blower.
    A new Echo HC1500 hedge trimmer.
    A new Husqvarna stick edger.
    A barely used Tanaka 25" hedge trimmer.

Still hoping to find a new extended reach hedge trimmer on there!

10. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

I have bought but I never would buy anything like a mower from it unless you can test it. Just bought small stuff for my wife like beanie babies. I think ebay has something like insurance for big purchases, though I'm not sure, If you were to buy a mower I would look into that!