1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do BIG cemeteries?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UpstateServices, Dec 26, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

I happen to really like doing them. Peaceful.... if they pay good enough and you’re not the only one trimming headstones . What warrants your response?

2. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

I'd think about using my Milwaukee string trimmer to add to the peacefulness.

3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah just need 1,000 batteries to be able to complete 1/3 of the trimming.

Cam15, Mark Stark and UpstateServices like this.
  4. Crazy 4 grass

You obviously have never run one then.

Would I use it for heavy thick stuff? No

But for weekly light trimming, around dozens of small things? In a case where peacefulness and quiet is part of the reason I'm taking on the job? Absolutely.
    I have trimmed with mine for an hour with a 9ah battery many times.

A side benefit worth mentioning- lack of vibration.
    I own an operate gas power trimmers as well and for non stop heavy load they are where its at.

hort101 and zlandman like this.
  5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Love the electric trimmers for general maintenance trimming. Batteries last quite some time. It would take a handful to go all day but they last longer than a tank or two of fuel. And yeah, super quiet!

Crazy 4 grass and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

As has been said in other threads, I would definitely be interested if the battery life equaled that of a gas powered. Especially with the amount of gas used on 5400 stones plus some fence.

7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

All of this talk about cemetery's is killing me :cool2:

@UpstateServices what town are you guys based out of?

8. Crazy 4 grass

I zeroed in on the word peaceful and thus the suggestion.
    I for one would be very interested to hear real feedback on how many batteries would be gone through in an 8 hour shift for this application. My guess would be four 12 amp hour batteries.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Haha, right so you think trimming for an hour at a large cemetery(1400+ headstones) would be achievable with an electric trimmer? Don’t kid yourself.

So, use the correct tool for the correct job. In this particular case, unless you have 1,000 batteries, an electric trimmer isn’t going to be sufficient.

Also, before assuming things about people, you should prob get a little more info. Yes I have used an electric trimmer, husqvarna don’t remember the model. Dealer gave it to me for a week to demo. I found that I could get
    1.5 hrs per full battery on weekly maintenance accts. Not even close to doing 1400+ headstones.

Any questions?

10. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

Not to mention 5400 headstones. Love the concept, hope they can become relevant in the commercial field soon.