1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do BIG cemeteries?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UpstateServices, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Nah, the word “peaceful” doesn’t mean no sound or low sound. Peaceful can be many things to many people but trimming a 5400+ headstone cemetery every week with the intent of making $ with a battery trimmer isn’t one of them.

How many cemeteries have you/do you service?

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have a question.
    So you think it would take 1000 batteries to do 1400 stones ?
    No.
    You said a fully charged battery got you 1.5 hrs run time. We do several cemeteries. One is a 4000 stone + tree's and painlink fence. 3.5 man hrs with gas trimmers. So equivalent to two and one half batteries as per your above statement of 1.5 hrs run time.
    That's a far cry from 1000s of batteries.

Mark Stark, Cam15, zlandman and 2 others like this.
  3. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

Not quite sure why you are insisting on taking this further with me. I also said it would add to the peacefulness not define it.
    We disagree on whether or not someone could trim for eight hours straight with a battery operated trimmer.
    I have never worked in any cemetery setting.
    I come to lawnsite to be able to brainstorm ideas with like minded people, not argue. I merely said an idea that I might think about trying and was immediately mocked by you with your 1000 battery comment.

4. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

I used to do 2 full days of cemeteries per week w my old boss.
    Maybe when things are dry and not growing too fast battery powered would work. But Battery units just don’t have the same power / torque as gas . So figure on moving slower than w gas. im hoping the technology catches up soon tho. I got the echo battery blower and I love the convenience & light weight ...but it’s not good at moving wet grass clippings. Out of 40-50 accounts I can use it on 5-6 of them without it slowing me down significantly.

5. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

We used to scalp the crap out of the grass around the headstones - so every other week the trimming went a bit faster ....but we were mowing bi weekly so it didn’t make that much difference . Mid summer it’ll work tho

UpstateServices likes this.
  6. Matthews Lawn Care

Yeah, 1,000 was exaggerating. I thought that was obvious, especially after I stated how long I got out of a battery but thanks for clearing that up.

7. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

That’s what I am figuring will be our best bet if we can’t get them to agree to growth regulator... we started scalping around headstones last year at the other cemetery and we did notice a difference. We are cutting every 6-8 days too. Thanks.

8. Matthews Lawn Care

This wasn’t me mocking you.

This isn’t condescending at all is it? It’s ok, your idea is battery operated equipment which I doubt will be sufficient trimming a 5400+ headstone cemetery. Residential sure.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

It’s cheap enough you might be able to do it for the same as if you trimmed every week. T-Nex costs me about $1.25 per 1k but I’d imagine you could get that # down buying in bulk. Might even break free or save a little depending on the trimming man hrs saved.

UpstateServices likes this.
  10. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

We get your point how about we drop it?
    I've never done any cemeteries. But personally I like the big properties where I can stay in one place all day instead of driving all over the place and doing 15 little ones.