1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do BIG cemeteries?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UpstateServices, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Will do boss, great advice btw.

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm in this quote.....:rolleyes::laugh:

3. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

Great convo starter apparently, too bad no one has actually done “BIG cemeteries” :dancing:

Matthews Lawn Care and Cam15 like this.
  4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe have a plaque made up that says "Big cemeteries " and put it on your mantle to start even more conversations. :laugh:

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Define "big"?

I wouldn't personally define it as number of headstones. We maintain around 80 cemeteries either weekly or bi weekly, ranging from 100 sq feet to 14 acres. I honestly couldn't tell you how many stones were in any one of them and some we've done for 20 years.

We use walkers on the majority of them, fits most areas and the collection helps keep the stones clean. I don't know if you mentioned it but make sure you're licensed and can actually apply chems (some areas we do have gone all green and banned anything that isn't organic.)

So there are a bunch of questions, what's the cemetery layout? How old? Level terrain? Does the grass need to be collected? Can you use chems on the property?

Never tried battery equipment but most weeks my trimmer has as many hours as my mower, I don't know how it would hold up over the season JMHO :drinkup:

6. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

Going to sub out the spraying... pretty flat, I meant big as in a few thousand headstones or more

Cam15 likes this.
  7. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Gee, I believe I've already told you we do 3 cems. One is 4000 plus stones.
    The other two are both 2500 plus stones.
    You've already had many suggestions on how to proceed. But apparently if they are not exactly 5400 stones you ignore suggestions.
    Sounds more like you just like saying you are going to bid a BIGGGG cemetery. ;)

zlandman, Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

Sure! With the 4000 headstone one, you said 3.5 hours trimming. Do you have 2 guys trimming together? (one side of headstone each) I’m thinking of having one guy go there 2x per week and do it alone... Ik that would take a special individual to enjoy doing that, but we could keep equipment there and could benefit from not having to take a company truck/trailer out tehre

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

A website called “find a grave” is what I use to find headstone counts. Obviously there’s many other factors as you mentioned but if you’re curious of the counts on yours that website is great.

10. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

It's irrelevant if it's 1 person or 4 people. 3.5 man hrs is 3.5 man hrs.
    Just an fyi.
    Normally on that cemetery it is 3 guy's. 2 of my workers do all of the trimming, then they each mow the sections they trimmed.
    I mow a field area there, parking area, and 1800' of ditches.