Anyone do BIG cemeteries?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UpstateServices, Dec 26, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

I know... imo 2 guys at 1.25 would be faster than one person cranking for 3.5 hours straight.. so jw how many you put on them. Is there a reason you trim before you mow?

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

That's actually a workable solution.
    I believe it was 3 yrs ago.
    I hired my Niece to do trimming only.
    She had our daily route. She started her day 2 hrs before us on mowers. We then showed up to pre-trimmed properties. We hopped on mowers. Mowed blowed and go to next property. Worked great. She ended up moving away. She loved trimming.
    And was good at it. Very detailed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    zlandman, Cam15, Mark Stark and 2 others like this.
  3. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

When they trim they're own area they learn quickly where to trim. Plus the long grass from trimming gets ground up by mowers.
    And each person does they're whole section trim, mow, blow. Can't shift the blame to "the trimmer guy" missed some spots. Or the "Mower guy" doesn't get close enough. No one to blame.

zlandman, knox gsl, Cam15 and 3 others like this.
  4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Used the site, our largest cemetery has 2500 stones.

So I'm assuming the place your talking about is around 30 acres?

We break the cemeteries down by sections, generally road to road. The person mowing is responsible for the trimming of that section.

Personally I figure around 1.5 acres an hour for mowing and around 750-1000 stones per hour (depending on density) for production from a skilled guy.

I wouldn't leave a guy alone to do a 30 acre cemetery, they'll be burned out within a month IMHO

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

11 acres roughly... it’s pretty condensed.

6. 1620cwj

1620cwj LawnSite Member

There is alot of info you need to do cemeteries. If they are new ones, those are designed with maintenance consideration, fast easy mowing with minimal trimming. Large old, and Small cemeteries are all shapes and layouts. Hidden stones, uneven terrain, Small rows, you name it. I know of 2 companies that do them, old and large, and they do them and get great great money because no one wants to do them, they have the management company held hostage. another company because they have extra damage and had to get different mowers to do The work. Personally I would stay away unless it was a newer cemetery that had maintenance in mind when developed.

7. BC Mowing & Tilling LLC

BC Mowing & Tilling LLC LawnSite Member

60in mowers are acceptable for most cemetaries. There will be dead spots, no pun intended, where you'll have to area trim. So, We always trim last that way we can knock the grass off the stones and bases with the string. Mowed a 43 acre site with 22,000 plots, it wasnt full obviously so less stones. City used to hire three temp guys each summer so they were paying 120 man hours a week.
    One year we mowed and trimmed it in a day, 11 guys though, only took 7 hrs to mow with 4 mowers. Last year we took two days with 5 guys. All mowed for 4hrs, then trimmed for 4 hrs. Repeat second day. 80 to 88 man hours. It's a morale killer though and we had to push really hard to get it done like that. 4hrs of straight heavy trimming, two breaks, is no joke when its above 90. We were getting 2100 per last year, highest ever was 2300 before we got under bid on the job. It's really not worth it.

But, we mowed a much smaller cemetery that was a better deal. It was only 8 man hours so we were in and out in an hour and a half. 330 bid. No body minded doing the smaller one. Lol.

Electric/gas, what a debate. What ever suits a fella I guess. The battery tech is pretty good now days and they do make rapid car chargers so I'd think a guy could find the ballance for that if there was a desire but it's hard to beat a gas trimmer if you run it all day.

8. Ruby

Ruby LawnSite Member

I help a guy with about a 20 ac cemetery. His is a contract with everything within the grounds. Do any of you use rear discharge?

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    UpstateServices

W
    we use side discharge with advanced chute covers to minimize clippings on the stones

Cam15 likes this.
  10. mdotbridgeman

mdotbridgeman LawnSite Member

I have a 8 acre cemetery I mow, have been mowing it for the past, 22 years. Good times in Mississippi in the 100 degree heat!

hort101 and Cam15 like this.