Anyone else’s Vanguard 37 EFI take longer to start when warm?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Adkinson88, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Adkinson88

Adkinson88 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, here’s my story... I purchased a Scag Turf Tiger II paired with a Vanguard 35 7 months ago. It was their demo. I had nothing but issues with the Vanguard (to my surprise, I’ve read great things about Vanguards). The dealer could not figure out why it would run great when cold, then after running it, and letting it sit while string trimming, edging, blowing, upon start up it would puff out black smoke; but, then sputter until I choked it. Then it cleared up, ran fine again. Long story short, after 13 visits back to the dealership, and begging for my money back, while telling them I would purchase another one brand new, they decided they would swap motors and put the Vanguard 37 EFI on. Well, the motors were swapped. I now have the Vanguard 37 EFI. It starts great when cold; but, once it’s been warmed up and shut off, it’ll turn over about 10 times before starting. Anyone else with the Vanguard 37 EFI experience this? I took it back to the dealer; but, same results as always since the purchase. Nothing repaired.

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Just run from vanguards, just my experience.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hmm that's strange. usually motors are slower to start when cold and then crank right up when warm.

Tommy Kite likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Adkinson88

Have you been having issues with them? I read a lot of good reviews on them so I wanted to give Vanguard a go. Hoping to not be disappointed.

5. OP
    OP
    Adkinson88

Weeze, I agree. To me it seems as if I’m losing fuel prime, and the motor is having to build it back up, or a vapor lock. See, when it does this, and takes 10 revolutions of the motor to crank but finally cranks, I can shut it off right away, then crank again, and it will start without hesitation.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I'm basically the only guy on lawnsite that doesn't worship vanguards. Have had a long list of issues with a 35hp on a 2011 turf tiger.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Adkinson88

I spoke to Vanguard today, I have no dealers around me with the software. This purchase of this machine has been an absolute nightmare. I have read many great things about the Turf Tiger II paired with the Vanguard on this site. I must have drawn the unlucky card. Vanguard did say there are issues where the crank position sensor gap may need to be adjusted differently than what is done from factory. I have also read this on Lawn Site as well, so... here is to hoping! I’m waiting to hear back from them on a reputable dealership I could take it to.

8. OP
    OP
    Adkinson88

Really... see that’s what I started out with. The Vanguard 35. It would start up fine in the morning, run fine; but, the moment I shut it off to string trim, edge, and blow, it would decide to blow out black smoke upon start-up, then sputter until I choked it and it cleared up. So it would go from rich to starving for fuel just like that. Very weird. Nobody could figure it out so they replaced the motor. Now I’m at this point. Did you have the same running issue with your 35?

9. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

I do not have any experience with the Vanguard 37 but you may find this EFI service manual helpful

Attached Files:

sjessen likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Adkinson88

I appreciate that Walker, I downloaded the same one a couple months ago and have learned a lot about the motor since reading it. Can never go wrong with a service manual.