1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else do postcards this way????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jon99, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

My goal this year was to add 15-20 residentials, so I bought 1500 postcards from vistaprint and placed a small add in a chain of small town, weekly newspapers.. With the postcards, I actually went out and got the addys myself, hitting the subdivisions that I thought would be desirable and then handwriting the addresses.. Sent my first 200 out 5 days ago,200 2 days ago and have another 200 going out today, so far I have added a doctors office (from the ad) and have two phone calls from the postcards, landed one and the other went with a lower price..

Addy on the postcard was basically:

Current Resident
    123 Maint St
    Town, Il Zip

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I compiled my own specific list and it increased my sales by 100K last year. List consists of roughly 10K homes.

3. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Jon99,

You mailed them out, right? When you mail out that many of something, do you still pay .37/stamp? Or is there another stamp you can buy for a lightweight mass mailing? Thanks

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

We mail out an 1/2 sheet postcard 100lb weight full color both sides and with postage it runs .25 per house. We work with a mailing company. This summer we will end up mailing roughly 47200 mailers as planned.

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Postage is 23 cents, about 8 cents per card, costing me about 31 cents, or about $465.. Basic math I used, hoped to add 15 accounts, went safe and said $25 @ 28 times for the year, comes out to about $11K in revenue... Key will be getting the 15 accounts, or 1%...

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I created my own mailing list, printed out labels and stamped the postcards myself. In the end it cost me about $800 or so for 2000 cards. Sent the last of them out last weekend, and have gotten a few calls of them already. I wasn't looking for a huge turnout, kind of just testing the waters to see how this goes.

I created my list with a reverse directory.

7. greeneakers04

MTDMan, what is a reverse directory?

8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

it is a criss-cross directory, it shows peoples names, house # and phone number according to the street they live on

9. bjslawnservice

bjslawnservice LawnSite Member

Hey,

When you go into a small business, do you just leave them a card or do you ask to speek with someone regaurding lawn care?

10. greeneakers04

Spoolin, how do I use this?