Anyone else having trouble finding employees

Discussion in 'Employment' started by dodgediesel96, Sep 7, 2018.

1. dodgediesel96

dodgediesel96 LawnSite Member

Hey guys we are a small - mid size company in NJ. We have 10 full time employees but need more help and are having a huge challenge finding qualified help. We are offering starting pay of $12-$18 depending on experience, paid holidays and time off, lots$ of overtime and a stable work environment. We are offering a referral reward of $300 to anyone who refers someone that we hire and STILL can’t really get anyone!

Are you guys having similar problems, do you have any tips? Are you guys willing to share what you’re doing? We have an all Spanish workforce as it seems that’s the only folks that can handle / are willing to do the work but for some reason trying to find more of those guys is tough.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty much the range of what I'm offering in my area where the cost of living is probably 1/2 yours and I still am having a heck of a time finding just one person to replace the guy I let go in April. I just don't get it I guess.

hort101 likes this.
  3. KYLandscape

KYLandscape LawnSite Member

Same here in KY. Had two guys mowing at $14+/hr quit showing up.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I saw in McDonald's a flyer "hiring managers at $10 an hour" I sheet u not. I don't get it. Most on here are paying what u are saying for a job with virtually zero responsibility, you spend 1/3 of your pay day watching the windshield. I'm at a loss

5. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

It’s always going to be difficult and never easy. I would say screen,screen and screen. Also your foreman have to be educated on retention and training. Making them feel engaged and want to learn. Not just go do work because it’s a job.

Tara Ann likes this.
  6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Me: See you tomorrow at the shop, 7:30.
    Him: What? We working tomorrow? It's supposed to be 90 degrees.
    Me: Are you serious?
    Him: Hell, yeah. That's too hot to work.
    Me: Well then, I guess today was your last. We will mail your check. In case it's too hot to pick up.

Johnny79 and Richard Moore like this.
  7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

a challenge more and more, every season.

hort101, sjessen and Walker56 like this.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't get why you guys are shocked that it is hard to find workers. Lets see: monotonous , repetitive, hotter than hail, humid, stinging wasp, flies, ants, dirty, grueling, in many cases seasonal.. If all I did was weedeat all day I think I would go insane:dizzy:. Tell a girl you mow lawns and see where that gets you:laugh:
    Besides that there are people who just don't like hard work. Some that don't like to work at all. Parents who give them the world' I want them to have what I didn't have"
    Lots of easier jobs out there these days. Inside. AC....I come home many days. Pouring in sweat. Face about black with dirt. Spine aching from the pounding on the mower. Would I do this type work for wages? Hail no! I don't even think about what I made that day. I think man that was some bs and I have to do it all over again tomorrow!:cry:

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

This time of year, I find the amount of people looking to do this or switch companies is very limited compared to late Winter & Spring.

hort101, Tara Ann and sjessen like this.
  10. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Is there potentially a lack of company culture?

Company culture is the personality of a company. It defines the environment in which employees work. Company culture includes a variety of elements, including work environment, company mission, value, ethics, expectations, and goals.”

It is my opinion that if a company does not have a solid cultural backbone, or crystal clear elements (mission, goals, ethics, expectations, etc.), the company cannot, reasonably, expect employees to be successful - regardless of pay, benefits, or other “perks,” of working at/for the company.