1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else lawns burning up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Aug 27, 2013.

  1. lawnsaspire

    lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,687

    Here in Illinois we have had maybe two inches of rain since late June. Fortunately we had a wet spring and cool temps up till this week of high 90s. I know most of you have benefited from above average rainfall amounts this summer. Just wondering if anyone else can sympathize with me. I've been mowing most of my lawns every 2 wks since mid July and now some of them are so burnt up I'll be doing good to mow that much. It's just frustrating because this is the 3rd straight summer that it has been dry and it isn't like we haven't had our rain chances. Rain seems to go around us every summer and hits neighboring towns. :cry: I'm glad I have so many lawns for a solo operator and I've been trimming more and more shrubs every year, otherwise I couldn't make it at this. I do this to support a family of four and these dry conditions can get me down if I let them. Hopefully September will resurrect my lawn season like hurricane Isaac did last year. Just had to vent, thanks!
  2. Sprinkler Buddy

    Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 1,185

    This has been the first two days without rain in my area since I could remember. lol We are never satisfied. Too dry, too wet, to hot, too cold, no snow, too much snow, etc... lol
  3. Stathem Lawncare

    Stathem Lawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 14

    I hear you!! I'm 1 hr 15 min southwest of you and we have been the same way. Half of mine been once a month since July.
  4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

    Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 748

    we're dying here.
  5. lawnsaspire

    lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,687

    thats suprising. i thought i saw all kinds of rain come thru columbia and south earlier this month.
  6. CorkyE

    CorkyE LawnSite Member
    Messages: 124

    We're into our 3rd day without rain, longest we've been in a while. It could not rain for the rest of the year and we would still be ahead of our annual average. BTW - Chattanooga TN area.
  7. Southern grass

    Southern grass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 62

    I saw a cat fish with a life jacket on today we are drowning in ga
  8. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    It's vacation time!!!!
  9. newguy123

    newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,096

    About 80% of my customers have irrigation, which is really nice. The other 20% are pretty much dormant. We need the rain.

    I thought how it'd be nice to have a watering truck and blast by my properties real fast and keep them watered...would only take a minute or two with a water truck. Anyways, it's not economical but I think it's kind of a funny idea.
  10. mwalz

    mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,178

    I'm in Missouri I'm a solo guy but the lack of rain just kills me on the money. I mow every other week if I'm lucky, most of my customers usually like it cut at least once every other week but still...i only have 10 lawns so it's not like a make a lot so every little bit counts.

Share This Page