Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never really seen a thread like this on here before. has anyone ever been outright assaulted or confronted by a fellow lco or maybe they vandalized some of your equipment. i was cutting a cemetery when some fellas pulled into the parking lot and hollered at me saying something like "looks like you got a good one". i didnt think anything of it until the next time i went to cut, i found about 10 clothes hangers spread out through the whole cemetery like someone wanted me to run over them and ruin my day. my immediate thought was those guys from the time before. anyway, anyone else have anything going on?

randy.

· Moderator, Friend, Angel
36,324 Posts
never really seen a thread like this on here before. has anyone ever been outright assaulted or confronted by a fellow lco or maybe they vandalized some of your equipment. i was cutting a cemetery when some fellas pulled into the parking lot and hollered at me saying something like "looks like you got a good one". i didnt think anything of it until the next time i went to cut, i found about 10 clothes hangers spread out through the whole cemetery like someone wanted me to run over them and ruin my day. my immediate thought was those guys from the time before. anyway, anyone else have anything going on?

randy.
Maybe the dead didn't like you running over them:laugh:

· Registered
1,039 Posts
One time.... I had a LCO come up to me and try to show off his stupidity by claiming i stole his account by lowballing his price! I told him that i didn't steel anything from him in fact your customer called me because she was tired of you not showing up and charging full price! He then asked...what you charging i said $100 a month he laughed and said...lowballer i was charging $110.00 a month... I got off my mower and stood toe to toe with him and called him a liar to his face! I told him i seen your monthly billing statement you gave her $80.00 a month.. Who's the lowballer now PUNK!:angry: The pissing contest went on a little more then i finally said to him what time do you eat dinner??? He look like i was crazy and said ..what... I looked at him and said when you wake up tomorrow i'll make sure your wife brings you last nites dinner to the hospital for you. So shut up and go to your truck now or get you dinner tomorrow morning!! I think he realized that i was no longer interested in hi BS. I did watch my rig for a while afterwards but i haven't seen him for a while now though....Maybe he went out of business

· Registered
2,285 Posts
You Florida Guys amaze me. In my area $100 per month for even a postage stamp is lowballing, unless your cutting Every two weeks. My father in law live in FT. Meyers and pays $12 per cut to a legit LCO who's been cutting it for years. Its really small but still...

I guess being able to work year round makes a difference, around here we have to make 12 months worth of revenue in 6.

· Registered
5,912 Posts
Not really assulted or anything but there is one guy that would give me dirty looks last year and one time he was behind me and he flash his high beams at me like a strap was loose or something as I pulled over to find nothing wrong he flew by me laughing. I think he was a little shocked when he drove by me once this year and seen my stainless trailer because he slammed on the brakes to take a better look.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
You Florida Guys amaze me. In my area $100 per month for even a postage stamp is lowballing, unless your cutting Every two weeks. My father in law live in FT. Meyers and pays $12 per cut to a legit LCO who's been cutting it for years. Its really small but still...

I guess being able to work year round makes a difference, around here we have to make 12 months worth of revenue in 6.
I dont think it does make a difference working year round. Its still too little to make decent money from. I wonder what the point of working for little to nothing is? After driving a Zturn awhile, it get s old. If I wanted to drive something for a hobby,it would be a Harley.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
The lawn in question takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish and pays $1,200 a year. 4 mows a month in the summer months and 2 mows a month in the winter months and it pays the same, All year long... This is how we do it here! sometimes not even that, if it gets cold enough and the grass has not grown at all we just show up blow off the sidewalks and driveways & pick up trash and go...

Florida accounts
(Summer months 4 visits $100)
20 minute job pays $25 thats $1.25 per minute = $75.00 per Hr.

(Winter months 2 visits $100)
20 minute job pays $50 thats $2.50 per minute = $150.00 per Hr. This sounds like good money to me!

· Registered
3,530 Posts
In eight years of owning/running my business full time I have had only one guy attempt anything.
Dude mistook me for some other company and when I asked him is @#@#ing problem he realized his error.
I have had problems with scrubs coming up to me asking to "rent" equipment for jobs - I do have a bunch of equipment from mowers, tractor, grading equipment, trenchers, etc. When I said nope the one guy did get a bit lippy. So I asked him to leave, he got a bit more lippy but left. Later on that day I was getting a twelve pack for the crew after a long days work and saw him in the parking lot. By the time I got outside one of my guys smacked this dude around pretty well - I don't know if there was a fight or not. If there was my guy had no marks on him. My guys told me for a twelver they'd smack Obama around. I just laughed and away we went.

· Registered
58 Posts
You Florida Guys Rock! My folks live in Sarasota and yearly accounts seem the norm. I always see pros out there with good looking rigs. If I had accounts like those in your area and clients on yearly contracts my life would be much easier. Here (western NC) we have steep yards and yearly contracts are a hard sell. On the other hand all us LCOs really stick together and help each other out. I always shoot for $1.00 per minute and that is not too hard to get, but winter can be very tight

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Last year I went to florida for the first time with my fiance to visit her parents. I asked how much they paid to have there lawn cut every week. Her mom said $20. I said for a lawn that size in our area here in maryland we would charge $25 per cut. She spoke up and said NO its $20 a MONTH and that INCLUDES trimming all the shrubs on a regular basis. I was like WTF you have to be kidding and she said no and pulled out an invoice for that month.

· Registered
10,093 Posts
Last year I went to florida for the first time with my fiance to visit her parents. I asked how much they paid to have there lawn cut every week. Her mom said $20. I said for a lawn that size in our area here in maryland we would charge $25 per cut. She spoke up and said NO its $20 a MONTH and that INCLUDES trimming all the shrubs on a regular basis. I was like WTF you have to be kidding and she said no and pulled out an invoice for that month.
i cant believe that one, sorry. hahah Nobody is that stupid.

· Registered
959 Posts
What does that have to do with a lco vandalizing or assaulting you? :confused:

· Registered
45 Posts
I had one customer that hired me to do his lawn even though his 13 year old son mows several yards in their neighborhood. A few months into it, my helper comes out from the backyard with a handful of butter knives that were stuck into the ground blade first with the handles sticking up several inches. The only thing I could think of was this guy's kid is trying to tear up my equipment. Good thing my guy pays attention to where he's going!

· Registered
330 Posts
I've had tires cut (truck and mower), Handhelds and gas cans have come up missing, but I can't say it was another LCO.

I had to change my route for one property, if I show up before the LCO that mows next door I will have to go back later in the day to clean up the trash in the yard. It's like they line up all their garbage for the week along the property line and run it over blowing into the yard that I mow. Adapt and overcome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.