Anyone ever cut sod out to put it back in?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by warwick81, May 16, 2019.

1. warwick81

warwick81 LawnSite Member

I have a homeowner who is having a septic system replaced. Sod delivery is 6 - 8 weeks out and the homeowner doesn't want to wait. Doesn't mind paying for my time, but I've never cut sod out, and relaid it a couple days later. Yard isn't exactly smooth so I'm not even certain how well the sod will cut out. Anyone have any advice or experience?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Tell them to wait for sod.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    warwick81

So you think it is an absolute non-starter then?

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Yes it’s pretty common for me but it can only sit rolled up for 24 hours. Maybe 48 hours with a warning that it might not like that. Also it has to be really good quality sod in order to cut roll unroll. If it’s just ok it will fall apart

5. OP
    OP
    warwick81

It's Zoysia. My experience with Zoysia is that is near impossible to kill it. I've purchased "dead" pallets before and it comes back, just takes a bit longer and requires a little extra weed control while it establishes.

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If they don't have sod quality turf now waiting a couple weeks will give them the yard they want. How long are you going to have to store this cut up lawn? The time it will take to make sure all of the old lawn is saved rolled nice and neat to unroll will out way any savings from just getting fresh cut farm sod.