Anyone Ever Enclosed a Natural Spring/Bubbler/Seep?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Alane, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Alane

Alane LawnSite Member

Client has a small( 2 by 4' wide, 12- 6" deep), natural spring on a slight hill, directly under some pines. Want to enclose with rocks to create natural water feature. Wondered if anyone had done this before, or had thoughts on plants to use around it.
    Also, was thinking of using a minimal clay lining as well as small rocks; any thoughts on how intensive it needs to be lined, or what material to use?
    Any input appreciated.

hort101 likes this.
  2. wishfull

wishfull LawnSite Senior Member

Line with local rock with 1/2" to 3/4" clean gravel as filler between the larger rock. Use plants native to your area if at all possible as they will stand the best chance of surviving. Ferns do nicely. If you have a supplier of decorative stone close by this could also be used of course but would likely come at a higher price. A liner of clay would be only required if the intent was to create a small pond.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Alane

Alane LawnSite Member

Thanks!

4. OP
    OP
    Alane

Alane LawnSite Member

Appreciate the detailed response, I've never done water features before; so this was really helpful!

5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I haven't either had one customer interested in a waterfall
    Try googling it and or a good book?
    Is there any trade magazines for water features?

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Does this spring feed year round. My experience is they come and go quickly. There one season, dry the next or forever.

7. wishfull

wishfull LawnSite Senior Member

We have done a fair amount of waterfalls for customers complete with stream bed. We line it with pond liner "rubberized material similar to a car inner tube" and then completely cover it with rocks and gravel of our customers choice. We do not have a pond at the end of the stream but use a heavily screened sump also covered with rocks so as not to be noticeable. Our pump goes in there and our water line to the waterfall runs under the liner creating a "circut". Just make sure the cover is removable so the pump can be serviced if required. A pondless system is much safer if small children are around.

8. TColemanP

TColemanP LawnSite Member

I'm an old farm boy and we have natural springs on a few hillsides. Have you had this customer for long? Find out how wet this area is in the summer. Doesn't sound like it's overly deep, so even though it's spring fed, it might "dry" up to the eye on the ground surface during summer. We have dug a few of these up on the farm to provide fresh water for cattle and horses, but always have to dig decent amount deeper to create a place for it to pool which is deep enough to not completely evaporate.

9. OP
    OP
    Alane

Alane LawnSite Member

Yes, it definitely varies. The posted size is for the hole in the dead of summer; however right now and after heavy rains it overflows the hole.

10. OP
    OP
    Alane

Alane LawnSite Member

Had this customer for about seven years, my experience is that there is always at least a foot-wide,2" deep depression around the bubbler filled with water. The customer has considered giving ducks access to area.